For this church:
The bell tower is 74' high, and was restored in 1873. The bell frame required serious restoration in 1998, when a new frame was made, two bells were recast and all rehung.
The church, except the chancel, was rebuilt in 1843 by Sir George Gilbert Scott.
Core nave and tower fabric 1842-3 on site of medieval church
Chancel medieval, altered and extended 1876
Significant Interior Features
Other fittings mainly mid- late-C19th
Timbers and roofs
Wooden frame mainly of 1870, Elphick type Z, Pickford 6.A.
Not scheduled for preservation Grade 4, but to be retained in the context of the building fabric as a whole.
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
No known archaeological excavations have taken place.
The building was rebuilt in 1842-4 with the exception of the medieval chancel which is largely C14/15th although modified and extended between 1876-92. The rebuilding has probably largely destroyed shallow archaeological deposits in the nave and tower areas although medieval stratigraphy may survive a lower depths and below the chancel. The churchyard, though now largely cleared of grave-markers, is known to contain numerous burials up to 1888.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology in the churchyard is considered moderate and below the present interior floors is considered to be moderate-high.
Exterior: Burials and evidence of earlier church.
Interior: Mainly 1842-4 destruction layers, though with possible medieval stratigraphy deeper. Chancel mixed C19th layers but medieval stratigraphy likely at lower depths.
Standing fabric of building 1842-96 throughout though with medieval work in the chancel, largely C14-C15th.