For this church:
Beeston St John the Baptist
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. Chancel C15, remainder rebuilt 1842 by Scott and Moffatt. Enlarged 1876 by C. H. Thornton. Organ chamber 1876. Vestry 1897. C15 Perpendicular style. Pecked ashlar. Gabled and lean-to slate and patterned tile roofs. Moulded plinth and sill band. Moulded eaves band with bosses and masks. Crenellated parapets. Decorated ridge. Coped gables with crosses. Windows are C15 style lancets with hood moulds. South west tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north transept, vestries. Buttressed south west tower, 4 stages, has higher buttressed octagonal stair turret at south west corner. 3 string courses. First stage has to south moulded doorway with flanking shafts, Arms in spandrels and hood mould. Second stage has to south a cusped Decorated double lancet. Third stage has on each side a single lancet. Fourth stage has on each side 2 double lancet louvred openings. All openings have hood moulds. Stair turret has a single light on each stage on alternate sides. Nave west end has 5 light lancet with panel tracery. To left, canted stair turret and door. Above, angel boss at top of eaves band. Clerestory, 6 bays, has on each side 3 buttresses and dwarf corner buttresses. South side has 4 and north side 6 square headed double lancets. East gable has small double lancet and above, angel boss. Chancel, 3 bays, has to north, to east, C15 double lancet with panel tracery. East end has a pair of diagonal buttresses and transomed 5 light lancet with panel tracery and segmental head. South side has central buttress and off-centre cusped doorway, C15, with C17 plank door. Flanked by single C19 double lancets with panel tracery and square headed reveals. Choir vestry has to north a pair of diagonal buttresses and late C14 style double lancet. Inscribed stone commemorating Victoria’s Jubilee, 1898. East side, 2 bays, has central buttress and off-centre moulded doorway with hood mould and mask stops. Above, 2 C15 style double lancets with panel tracery and square headed reveals. Vestry in return angle has to north a pair of corner buttresses and a double lancet with square headed reveal. Choir vestry to east, 3 bays, has 4 centred arched door flanked by single double lancets. Tower chamber forming south porch has chamfered and rebated inner door with hanging lamp on bracket. Nave arcades, 6 bays, have clustered shafts with moulded bases and lobed capitals. Moulded arches have hood moulds and mask stops. Clerestory has sill band. Hammer beam roof on foliate corbels. West window has stained glass to John Watson, 1876. East gable has stained glass window c.1858. Chancel has double chamfered and rebated arch flanked to left by niche with four centred arched head. North side has to left, opening containing organ. To right, easternmost window has stained glass, 1859. East end has C14 style traceried reredos, 1880 and stained glass window 1854. South side has to east cusped ogee headed piscina and matching triple sedilia, C15. Easternmost stained glass window 1860, westernmost window 1877. Roof 1876, low pitched with arch braces on corbels. North and south aisles have lean-to roofs with arch braces on corbels. North aisle west end has stained glass window 1859 and central north side window by Henry Hughes, 1873. East end has traceried arch containing C20 War Memorial traceried screen. South aisle has stained glass window at east end, 1850 and on south side, stained glass windows 1890, 1858 and 1874, 1893 and at west end,1878. Vestry has stained glass window 1873. Fittings include reeded round font, C11, re-set on C14 style base, 1842. Poor box made from beam end with iron binding inscribed “W.A. E.B. C.W. 1684”. Part of altar rail with balusters, late C17. Moulded and pierced stalls and desks, 1875. Benches mid C19. Eagle lectern,1875. Panelled alabaster pulpit on stem, 1885. Memorials include marble tablet with apron and pediment, 1797, Classical style marble and slate tablets 1809, 1821, 1914, 1915. Marble and slate tablet by Walkers, Nottingham, 1862. 2 brasses, C19. 5 C20 memorials. Pair of hatchments, C18. Royal Arms, 1844.
War memorial. 1857. By D. A. Chall. Ashlar with marble tablets. Square plinth and base with moulded top edge. Textured obelisk on square corniced base with 4 inscribed tablets. Inscriptions read: “This monument was erected by the inhabitants of Beeston to perpetuate the memory of those who left this village to serve their country and died in the discharge of their duty in the Crimean War,” followed by the names and dates of those who were slain.