For this church:
Features and Fittings
A modern oak framework.
An elaborate carved and painted timber work of unknown origin. There is an unsubstantiated local belief that it was painted by the daughter of the 20th century rector, the Rev W H Hunt, but is more reasonably a product of the 1873 restoration. It carries the following inscription:
A chamfered 13th century piscina is in the south wall of the chancel.
Between the piscina and the reredos, believed to have been created from two pieces of a shaft of the Early English chancel arch, found in the wall demolished to allow the building of the organ chamber in 1873. Described as 15th century.
Installed in 1959.
Cylindrical, consisting of three stones, the upper two being described in 1820 as ‘modern’, but in 1912 as ‘early Norman’. The plinth with zig zag ornamentation, designated as Norman by Pevsner, has attracted wide interest and has produced the suggestion that it is of pre-Conquest origin and perhaps part of the earlier preaching cross. The font is considered to be 12th century with an earlier base. A modern wooden cover carries the words:
Octagonal, of mainly 19th century structure, but with a section of 17th century work.
The oak carved eagle lectern was donated in 1948 in memory of those from the parish who gave their lives in the Second World War.
There are three 19th century stalls and a 20th century rear stall, all chamfered. The rear stall was given in memory of Mrs Kathleen Tordoff in 1967.
The Litany Desks
A small desk and chair stand in the chancel, by the south wall. An accompanying plate carries the inscription:
A second larger desk and chair stand near the southern end of the chancel arch and were installed in 1963 in memory of Mr William Maskrey.
The Samaritan Guild desk (in the Tower Vestry) and the Sanctuary Lamp were given in memory of Robert Hoggett, who lost his life in a mining accident in 1962.
On the south wall is the following:
The screen to the Tower Vestry was installed in 1944.