For this church:
Stone from the Mansfield quarries dominates in the church. The lower, older, section of the tower is of fine grained, pale red sandstone (Red Mansfield Stone), with a slightly dolomitic, carbonate cement. The use of this stone at such an early date is quite unusual. The later upper section shows restorative work from the 19th century with dressed blocks of pale yellow Mansfield Stone (White Mansfield Stone), a sandy dolomitic limestone. The window moulding, also originally of this stone, has been repaired with shelly, ooidal Ancaster limestone.
The north side of the nave, and the chancel, were also constructed with the Red Mansfield Stone, and as in the tower there is some mixing with yellow Mansfield Stone, visible particularly in the upper wall. There is also replacement Red Mansfield Stone, but this is paler in colour than the original stone.
Original stone window mouldings and door surrounds are also of White Mansfield Stone, but where there are later repairs and replacements these are of Ancaster Stone. The east window in the chancel has a moulding of Red Mansfield Stone with blockwork of White Mansfield Stone.
The 1873 organ chamber and vestry extension is also of a Red and White Mansfield Stone mix with a door moulding of ooidal, bioclastic Lincolnshire Limestone.
The south side of chancel and nave is also of Red and White Mansfield Stones, with window mouldings and buttresses of White Mansfield. A more recent repair may be found where Mansfield Stone with obvious green clay seams has been used.
The Savile Chapel (south transept) is constructed of Red Mansfield Stone ashlar block. Some of the failing red sandstone in the lower blockwork around the porch and transept is coarser grained in character and was probably used for modern repair.