Bilsthorpe
St Margaret

War Memorial

The eastern wall of the Savile chapel carries two brass wall plaques of 1921 commemorating the dead of two World Wars.

+

AS A THANK-OFFERING AT THE CLOSE OF THE GREAT WAR
AND IN MEMORY OF
GEORGE WILLIAM HUBBARD, JOHN ISA KEYWORTH,
JOHN MEEDS AND ARTHUR SAMUEL WARD
WHO LEFT THE PARISH OF BILSTHORPE AND GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN THE SERVICE OF ENGLAND
ONE HUNDRED POUNDS WAS SUBSCRIBED BY THE PARISHIONERS
AND GIVEN TO THE NOTTINGHAM COUNTY HOSPITAL

JANUARY 11 1920

and

+

IN THANKSGIVING TO ALMIGHTY GOD
AND IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF MEN
FROM BILSTHORPE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN
THE WAR OF 1939 – 1945

S CAPEWELL   G MENDHAM   H STEELE
G V HALLAM   L OLIVER   N STORER
G HATTON   J RICHARDS   G THORPE
S MELLORS   R SPENCER   E TODHUNTER

DONATED BY THE BILSTHORPE BRANCH OF THE
ROYAL BRITISH LEGION

There is no other war memorial at the church.

A modern memorial stands elsewhere in the village.