For this church:
Bingham St Mary and All Saints
Official Listing Description
The following are listed items:
Parish church. 1225, C14, C15, C16, 1729. Nave and chancel restored by G. G. Scott, 1845. Porch restored, clerestorey added and nave re-roofed 1873. Further restored by W. D. Caroe, 1912. Coursed and squared rubble. Ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, north transept, south transept, south porch, baptistry. West tower, 2 stages, has moulded plinth, string course and corbel table with ballflower and masks. 4 gargoyles. Low parapet with 2 figures and 2 pinnacles. Shallow clasp buttresses and 4 pairs of corner buttresses, 5 setoffs. South, west and north sides have each a small gabled buttress. Setback octagonal spire has 3 tiers of 4 lucarnes, each with double lancet with quatrefoil head. Above, weathercock and finial. First stage has to south 2 stair lights and C13 lancet. To west, to left, doorway with segmental head containing C18 plank door with lintel inscribed ‘J B RT 1729’. Central buttress contains C19 lancet. To north, single lancet. Second stage has on each side 2 double lancets, early C14, with shafts and Y tracery, hood moulds and stops. Above each, clock. Nave clerestorey, 1873, has eaves with ballflower, and coped east gable. On each side, 3 quatrefoil openings. North aisle, 3 bays, has to west, pair of corner buttresses and to north, 2 buttresses, all 2 setoffs. North side has central pointed doorway, restored C19, flanked by single restored lancets, C19, all with hood moulds and stops. North transept, c.1400, has coped gable with kneelers. 2 pairs corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. North gable has Decorated style C19 quadruple lancet with hood mould and mask stops. East side has partly obliterated C15 quadruple lancet with four centred arched head and panel tracery. Adjoining organ chamber, late C19, has slate lean-to roof and coped gables. To east, a double lancet. Chancel, 3 bays, has moulded plinth, sill band, chamfered eaves and coped gable with cross. North side has central buttress flanked by single restored C14 lancets with Decorated tracery, hood moulds and mask stops. East end has 2 pairs of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs plus plinths, and C15 quadruple lancet with four centred arched heads and cusped panel tracery. South side has 2 buttresses and 3 windows similar to north side. To left, recessed moulded doorway with hood mould and mask stops containing restored C18 Gothick door. South transept has pair of corner buttresses to south and single buttress to east. Coped gable with kneelers. East side has 2 C19 Decorated style lancets. South side has restored C14 quadruple lancet with transom and intersecting tracery and hood mould. To left, remains of corner buttress. Adjoining vestry has buttress to left, and coped gable. South gable has 4 rectangular blocked openings at ground level, with chamfered reveals. Above, C19 Decorated style triple lancet with ogee heads and flowing tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South porch has pair of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs, coped gable with kneelers and cross. Restored C14 south doorway with multiple cove and roll mouldings, and responds with moulded capitals and bases. Lean-to baptistry has single coped gable with kneeler. To south west, pair of corner buttresses. South side has a C19 Decorated style double lancet with hood mould and mask stops. Porcn has C19 purlin roof and to north, C14 triple sedilia with chamfered trefoil heads and bench with quatrefoil panels. Above, 2 pentagonal openings with naturalistic tracery. To left, C19 doorway. Inner doorway, chamfered and cove moulded has hood mould and inserted C18 panelling and door. Above, large foliate corbel. Nave north and south arcades, early C14, 5 bays, have each 4 octagonal piers with matching responds. Moulded octagonal bases, some water holding. Naturalistic foliate corbels, 2 crocketed, one with grotesque masks. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds and mask stops. Principal rafter roof, 1873, with arch braces, wall shafts and foliate corbels. North aisle has C19 lean-to roof and 2 windows with C19 stained glass heads. Baptistry has similar roof and a similar window. Panelled dado 1928 and traceried oak screens 1933. Tower chamber has to west, stained glass window, C19. North transept has stained glass window by A. R. Mowbray, 1848 and to its right, late C14 aumbry with trefoil head and moulded surround. Principal rafter roof similar to nave. South transept has similar roof. To east, stained glass window by Kempe, 1888, and another by Frank Miles, 1883. South end has to left, restored Cl4 piscina and central square recess. Above, window with C19 patterned stained glass. West side has blocked pointed opening. Vestry has restored C15 roof with arch braces with nailhead and octaqonal wall shafts and corbels. East side has tomb recess with four centred arched head and above, blocked pointed opening. South window has some C20 stained glass. Chancel arch, C14, restored 1873, double chamfered and rebated with hood mould, mask stops and responds with water holding bases. To right, canopied oak figure, 1928. Screen has C15 lower part with inscribed panels and above, traceried openings, inscribed transom and crest designed as war memorial by W. D. Caroe, 1921. Chancel, restored 1873, has principal rafter roof with arch braces on large angel corbels. North side has to west, unglazed C14 traceried opening into organ chamber. To east, panelled dado incorporating aumbry. East end has similar dado and elaborate stepped reredos in C15 style by W. D. Caroe, 1925. East window has stained glass by Mrs. Robert Miles, 1873. South side has to east, combined piscina and triple sedilia, c.1300, with bracketed bowl and cusped trefoil heads. Above, 2 windows with C19 stained glass. Fittings include chamfered Cl9 benches, roll moulded benches with ogee ends and foliate finials, plus canopied choir stalls, by W. D. Caroe, 1913. Carved octagonal oak memorial pulpit on ashlar base, 1916. Buttressed oak lectern with pyramid bookstand and figure finial, c.1921. Font, C12, re-cut and with new base, 1926. Stepped conical timber cover with 6 turned balusters, 1932. Bench incorporating 2 C15 bench ends with lozenge finials. Monuments include C13 effigy of Sir John de Bingham. Marble and slate tablets 1771, 1773, 1804. Brasses referring to clock (1871) and restoration (1873).
Gateway, railing and dwarf boundary wall. Mid C18. West gateway with mid C19 lych gate, 1881, by Frank Miles. Ashlar, brick, wrought iron and timber. Plain and patterned tile roof. Dwarf boundary wall carries plain iron railing. West gate has elaborate stepped and scrolled overthrow. Lych gate has 4 strutted posts carrying strutted wall plates. Principal rafter roof with collars. West gable has bargeboard inscribed “Through the Grave and gate of Death to our joyful resurrection.” East gable has fretwork panel. East gateway has 2 square ashlar piers with pyramid caps, iron finials, scrolled overthrow and lamp bracket, and pair of iron gates. Approx. 75M long.
3 headstones. 1730, 1731, 1765. To Horspool family. Slate. To left, plain inscribed stone to Richard, 1731. Central plain stone to Elizabeth, 1730. To right, stone with stepped, shouldered round head. Incised scroll and verse. To Elizabeth 1765. Signed ‘J.S.’
Headstone. 1801. To John, Samuel and Sarah, children of Samuel and Mary White. Slate. Incised Classical border with urns. Notable half-round cartouche showing Bingham on the Day of Resurrection. Verse couplet. Signed ‘Wood.’
3 headstones. 1699, 1700, 1769. To Hean family. Slate. That to left has plain square head. To Edward, 1769. Central stone has chamfered head with incised scrolls. To Mary 1699. Similar smaller stone, to right. To Thomas, 1700.
Pair of headstones. 1704 and 1721. Slate. That to left has square head with incised angel flanked by hourglass and crossbones. Inscription. To William Stevenson, 1704. Similar stone to right has incised angel and verse inscription. To Mary Stevenson, 1721.