For this church:
Bleasby St Mary
Two traditional bells and a chime of eight tubular bells hang in the tower. The traditional bells are hung from an Elphick type B-frame.
Details of the two traditional bells are:
The No 2 bell has the inscription around its border and also bears the shield of the Mellors family. It is claimed to date from about 1580-1590. The church guide gives a date of 1571. The No 1 bell is recorded as being bought from Nottingham on the 7th March 1810. The bells that originally hung in the tower were “surrendered in the reign of Edward VI”
The eight tubular bells were installed in 1911 to commemorate the coronation of King George V and were donated by August Schmidt of the Grange in memory of the coronation of King George V and the marriages of Mr. Schmidt’s two daughters. Harrington and Lathham of Coventry cast and installed the tubular bells. A small box containing lined boards is located near the tubular bells, on each line is a sequence of numbers which if followed represents a particular tune. Each tubular bell also is numbered.
Both the tubular bells and traditional bells are rung from the ground floor of the tower. The two traditional bells are no longer used for full-circle ringing.