For this church:
Bothamsall Our Lady and St Peter
Official Listing Description
Parish church. C14, rebuilt 1845 by the Duke of Newcastle with stone from Worksop Manor. Ashlar. Tile roofs. Embattled parapets, the east ends of the nave, chancel and vestry are raised and coped and have kneelers. The chancel has a single ridge finial and the nave a finial of 2 diagonally set shafts topped with open cusped tracery. Buttressed, set on a chamfered plinth with a red brick base in parts. Tower with north east stair turret, nave, north aisle, north vestry and chancel. Angle buttressed tower of 3 stages with bands. 3 remaining crocketed pinnacles of 4, 8 gargoyles. In the west wall is a single arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery hood mould and human head label stops. On the north side, between the buttress and stair turret is a tiled lean-to containing a moulded arched doorway with hood mould and decorative label stops. In the south wall is a moulded arched doorway with hood mould and C14 human head label stops. The 4 arched bell chamber openings each have 2 arched lights and a hood mould. There are single rectangular openings to the south and west with hood moulds and decorative label stops and single colock faces to the south, west and north. The stair turret of 3 stages with bands and 4 small gargoyles has 2 rectangular lights, at the third stage is a small rectangular window with 2 arched lights and trefoil under a flat arch. The north aisle with single finials at the angles of the parapet and 2 gargoyles has 3 windows each with a single arched and cusped light under a flat arch. The vestry has in the north wall a single pointed arched and cusped light with hood mould and foliate label stops, to the left is a chamfered arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. The east wall has a single pointed arched and cusped light with hood mould and foliate label stops. The east chancel with single crocketed pinnacles at the angles has 2 gargoyles and a single arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and foliate label stops. The south chancel has 2 windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery, cambered arch, hood mould and foliate label stops. The nave has 3 arched windows each with 3 arched and cusped lights, hood mould and human head label stops. Interior. 3 bay C14 nave arcade with octagonal columns, keeled responds, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. The tower and chancel double chamfered arches are both supported on octagonal responds and moulded capitals. There is an arched north doorway in the tower and an arched doorway leading to the vestry. To the left-of the south west doorway is an arched stoup. The furniture is C19 and C20 apart from the C14 octagonal font which has panels decorated with blind tracery and a castellated traceried band running around the top. In the chancel are 2 C14 floor slabs decorated with single stylised crosses, also a mid C14 brass either a demi-effigy or the top half of a lady. There is a monument in the north aisle to Elizabeth Mason, 1796. That to John Mason, 1802, has single pilasters with paterae flanking the inscription and supporting an architrave. There is a board detailing the donation of Mr. Joseph Holliday, 1826. The timbers of the chancel, nave and aisle roofs are supported on decorative corbels. The quadripartite vaulted tower has decorative corbels and a single boss.