Boughton St Matthew

Features and Fittings

Font

The octagonal stone, lead-lined font stands in the south-western part of the nave adjacent to the door from the south porch entrance, and it is mounted upon a square stone raised plinth. The font lid is of oak with iron fittings which appears contemporary with the original stonework.

The inscription printed around the top (from Epesians 4.5,6) reads:

+ ONE LORD ONE FAITH ONE BAPTISM ONE GOD AND FATHER OF ALL

Pulpit

This is approached from four stone steps the treads of which appear to be of Ancaster stone whilst the risers are of Steetley stone. The pulpit itself sits across a corner in an oblique manner partially obscuring some of the fine carved stone architectural features.

Aumbry

This unclad structure is neatly fitted into the north-wall of the Sanctuary but appears to have never enjoyed the benefit of a door over the opening, which may lead us to believe it is a small Easter Sepulchre. It is seen today as a splendid display shelf.

Chest

There is no parish chest as such, but an oak framed chest is in evidence in the ‘Mothers Union’ memorial corner to the left of the main altar. The chest is carved on the upper front panel banding timbers. The patina and finish appears to confirm the chest’s age is commensurate with that of the church.

Chancel Chair

This chair modelled in the Gothic revival style has a folding assembly with an equilateral triangular top rail enclosing a fretwork of a trifolium of leaves on an entwined stem. Sloping arms form the top-rail to the seat and cross legs with a single turned annular but pegged stretcher. The back panel is flat, but having decorative carving with a cross in the middle. A square-looped cushion is also provided.

Sanctuary chair

A further oak chair is provided in the chancel to which the top rail has a plate attached recording:

THIS CHAIR WAS GIVEN TO

BOUGHTON CHURCH

BY

REV. E.K. HYSLOP

DURING HIS INCUMBENCY

1928-1963

The chair has square columns at each corner, each with a spherical finial and two reduced square sections with Astragal mouldings above and below. The square top-rail is supported with six turned elongated multiple ovoid styled columns surmounted with a quinn-arched but square banded top rail.

The seat is flat and the front rail has similar arches matching the top-rail, but with a describing line. The arm rails are bow styled and the whole adorned with a neat loose cushion.

Pews

The pine pews are low backed and simple in style, much suited to the nave layout and its adornments. The woodwork has been finished with a degrading varnish and has that characteristic tiger scale finish commensurate with its age.

Choir stalls

The choir stalls, as with most of the timberwork within the chancel area, are made of oak. They are linear in style with carved tracery work to the front panels.

Lectern

The lectern is in the main constructed of an attractively grained oak, which has flourished over the years by careful application of polish, although some bloom is present owing to silicon being applied at some stage.

The slope is of ample proportion with three gothic arches and representative tracery-work cut within the vertical plate. Carefully chamfered edges add to the features of the piece, which stands on a quartered foot assembly with additional embellishments fitted onto the main octagonal stem.

Floor tiles

The encaustic floor tiles, made by Minton are set in various designs composed by the architect at the time of the original build. The degree of extravagance is dependent on the area covered, the nave being the more basic in style with the chancel the most complex.

Benefaction panels

There are two tablets on the west wall of the nave which read:

THIS TABLET
RECORDS THE GIFT BY MRS B. SIMPSON, LATE OF BOUGHTON
OF THE SUM OF £200 (CONSOLS)
TO THE CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, BOUGHTON,
THE INTEREST OF WHICH TO BE APPLIED BY THE
VICAR & CHURCHWARDENS FOR THE TIME BEING TO SUCH
CHURCH PURPOSES AS THEY MAY DEEM DESIRABLE.

MAY 7TH 1903   G.E. LEFROY AUSTIN, M.A.  VICAR
  G. GREENFIELD   CHURCHWARDENS
  J. BARTLE  

THIS TABLET
RECORDS THE GIFT BY MRS S. FROGSON OF £100.0.0
TO THE PARISH OF BOUGHTON, THE INTEREST
OF THIS SUM TO BE DISTRIBUTED ANNUALLY AT
CHRISTMAS AMONG THE WIDOWS AND OTHER
INDIGENT PERSONS OF GOOD CHARACTER RESIDING
IN THE SAID PARISH AT THE DISCRETION OF THE
VICAR AND CHURCHWARDENS FOR THE TIME BEING.

ERECTED   G.S.W. KERSHAW, M.A.  VICAR
AUGUST 10TH 1877   J.T. SIMPSON, CHURCHWARDEN

In addition, a plaque in memory of John Empson records the gift of £200, and another notes the donation of the east window.