For this church:
Click on the blue number in the key for details about each window
Windows numbered 1,2 and 3 on the north side of the nave, and windows 8 and 9 on the south side of the nave are identical. The glass is set into a lancet headed stone frame, with a central moulded column producing two lancet headed lights, with a circular light over filling the arch. All are glazed with ‘cathedral’ green/blue tinted glass set into lozenge set lead cames.
A single light set in the north side curve of the chancel apse. It has a lancet-headed frame with an inset trefoil. The window depicts Mary the Mother of Christ, surmounted by an angel. Mary is dressed in blue and white, against a background of green trees, with flowers placed under her feet. A scroll between the two figures carries the text
Lord have mercy upon us
In the lower right hand corner is the dedication which reads:
Frederick Browne was a solicitor who lived in the village.
Set over the altar in the centre of the apse, this is of the same shape as window 4. The design and colour of the glass in the head and down each edge of the window is also common to both windows. The scene is the crucifixion, which fills only the upper part of the light and shows Christ wearing a red loincloth against a deep blue background above the waist and trees below. At his feet are a skull and a hammer. The inscription panel is set to the right at the bottom of the painting and reads:
It is likely that these two windows were made by the same company, but neither carries a maker’s mark.
This window completes the windows in the main curve of the apse. It is of the same frame design as the previous two, but the glazing is much more recent. It was not installed until 1959. It shows Saint John the Evangelist in the main area of the window, with his emblem the eagle in the unpainted panel at the base. An angel is set above him in another unpainted panel. The angel has red wings and holds a scroll.
Saint John is draped in a red robe and stands with hands clasped within a rural scene. In the lower panel the eagle is tinted red/brown with a blue halo. The bottom right corner has an inscription panel, which reads:
The window was made by Nottingham manufacturer Pope and Parr. Their mark is clearly visible on the right hand side of the window just above the lower panel.
Located on the south wall of the chancel this double light trefoil headed window depicts the coming of the Holy Spirit, with emblematic representation of tongues of fire and a dove. Each of the lights contains a quotation from scripture. In the left panel, from Acts 10.44, are the words:
THE HOLY GHOST FELL
and in the one on the right, from the opening of many of St Paul’s epistles, such as Romans 1.7:
GRACE TO YOU AND PEACE
A dedication panel at the base of the window reads:
The maker’s monogram in the bottom left of the window is that of The Celtic Studios Swansea (Hubert Palmer Thomas 1913-1992).
The west window, is a group of three separate stone-framed lancet windows with incorporated trefoil heads. The central light is the tallest, the flanking pair about one third less in height. All have leaded glazing with lozenge shaped ‘cathedral’ glass.