For this church:
St John the Divine
Nottingham North Deanery
The foundation stone of this high Victorian church was laid in October 1882 and it was consecrated on 9th April 1885, although not completed until 1890. It was designed by William Knight, the architect of St Andrew’s Church, Mansfield Road, Nottingham.
It was built in the area known as the kiln yards, of locally quarried stone, in the Early English style. The building consists of a large high nave, chancel, apse, north and south aisles, large porch at the north west corner and a vestry. There is no tower or steeple but a spike on the east end. There was once a bell by J Taylor & Co in a turret between the chancel and the nave, but now there is a single bell on the wall outside at the south east corner.
All the glass is plain except for the five stained east windows donated by Mrs Cantrell in memory of her husband; she also donated the alabaster tablet in the chancel. This and another opposite in the chancel are the only memorials of note.
Sir Charles Seely donated the first organ. Choir stalls were installed in 1902 but removed a few years ago. The carved wooden eagle lectern was installed in 1935. The stone font stands on five columns and parts of it have been painted pink.
Up to 6th May 1998 the church was a Chapel of Ease to St Mary’s, Bulwell, but on that date a new parish was formed round St John the Divine.
Particular thanks to Nathan Ladd for research on this entry.
Work has been done on this entry but some pages are incomplete. If you can add information to help complete the entry, please contact our Research Manager.