For this church:
Features and Fittings
Most of the permanent fittings date from the Restoration of 1879.
Altar and reredos in panelled oak with a ‘Gothic’ design. The panelling of the reredos extends across the east end.
On the N side of the altar is an aumbry and a carved chair, and in a panel an embroidery of ‘The Last Supper’.
On the S side of the altar is a mediaeval piscina and two sedilia with wooden seats. In front is a litany desk.
The altar rails are of wrought iron in a design of passion flowers, with an oak rail.
Under the carpet are tiles designed for the church in 1879 by the Minton factory in Staffordshire.
There are three fixed choir pews, two on the N and one S, and a Vicar’s stall.
The pulpit and Lectern were made from the timbers of the old roof. The chancel floor was levelled and carpeted June 1997, and contains 14 pews, now free-standing, of various lengths, and about 20 chairs upholstered in red.
The font was moved here from near the tower in 1985. The quatrefoil bowl is in Early English style and mediaeval, but the base dates from 1879. Behind the font is a mensa, a slab carved with a cross, probably a tombstone and the monument to Sir Robert de Jorz. Between the aisle and the chancel is a hagioscope, with a piscina below. A bell stands in a window embrasure, and an alabaster monument near the N door.
At the recent refurbishment in 1997, a small platform was built at the east end, on which stands a keyboard and an oak table with candlestick and cross of nails.
On the walls at this corner most of the memorial tablets were grouped in 1879.
The whole of the nave has a specially designed carpet (by the architect Forbes Mutch) called The Pathway of Life, hand-made by the Edinburgh weavers in 1997.
The area under the tower is a Choir Vestry and is enclosed by a screen of wood and glass designed by Forbes Mutch and erected in 1985. On the wall are canvases of the Lord’s Prayer, the Ten Commandments and the Creed, in poor condition.