For this church:
Car Colston St Mary
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Tower restored 1911. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, with plain tile roofs. Chamfered plinth and eaves. Coped gables. Single C20 external gable stack. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch. West tower, C13 and C14, 2 stages, has deep moulded plinth, string course and coved eaves with 2 gargoyles each side. Crenellated parapet with 4 crenellated square pinnacles and 4 intermediate crocketed pinnacles. Squat setback octagonal spire with crocketed finial and weather-vane. To west, 2 diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs. To east, pair of plain buttresses. First stage has, to south, small C13 trefoiled lancet and clock. To west, a chamfered lancet and above, trefoiled lancet and clock. Second stage has 4 transomed C15 double lancets with panel tracery and hood moulds. Nave clerestory has to south 3 C19 double lancets with cusped heads. North aisle, mid C14, 3 bays, restored, has sill band. North side has 4 buttresses and north east corner a single buttress, all 2 setoffs. North side has central ogee headed blocked doorway with crocketed finial, hood mould and mask stops. To left, C19 ogee headed triple lancet, Decorated tracery and hood mould with foliate stops. To right, C14 double lancet with ogee heads, flowing tracery, hood mould and restored foliate stops. East end has C14 double lancet with Decorated tracery and hood mould. Chancel, mid C14, 3 bays, has to north 2 triple lancets with reticulated tracery and plain hood moulds. East end has restored 5 light lancet with complex reticulated tracery, hood mould and a mask stop. South side has 2 gabled buttresses, 2 setoffs. To left, small double lancet with cusped ogee heads. To its right, cove and roll moulded doorway with hood mould and mask stops. To right again, 2 restored triple lancets similar to north side. South aisle, 4 bays, mid C14, restored C19. Moulded sill band. South side has single buttress, 2 setoffs, and a half-gabled diagonal buttress at each corner, that to east with carved Arms and tablet with Latin inscription to Thoroton family. To west, C16 double lancet with round heads, square headed reveal and hood mould. To right of south porch, 2 C19 Decorated double lancets with hood moulds and stops. South porch has coped gable with kneelers and cross. To south, 2 setback buttresses, 2 setoffs plus plinths. Restored south doorway has moulded and rebated reveal, impost band and hood mould. C19 scissor braced principal rafter roof. Inner south door has shallow cove mould and impost band, chamfered outer reveal with restored shafts with capitals with nailhead bands. Hood mould with stops. Weather stripped C14 plank door with double ogee head and original furniture including timber cased lock inscribed ‘1674 W B. T W.’ Nave arcades, mid C14, 4 bays, have each 3 octagonal piers and matching responds with chamfered square plinths and octagonal bases. Octagonal capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds and uncarved stops. C19 scissor braced roof with moulded tie beams and curved brackets. Tower arch, C13, triple chamfered and rebated, with hood mould and a mask stop. C19 plank screen. Tower chamber has doorway with C16 single plank door. North aisle has C19 lean-to roof with collars and arch braces. Easternmost window has stained glass, late C19. South aisle has similar roof with 3 C14 corbels. South side has, to east, small C14 ogee headed piscina. Chancel arch, C14, restored, double chamfered and rebated, with simple chamfered responds. To south east, remains of rood loft door. Chancel north side has, to east, square plain aumbry and above, foliate C14 bracket and C20 figure. East end has large C20 oak reredos with naturalistic ornament. South side has to east, restored C14 piscina with angel corbel, nodding ogee hood with crocketed finial and mask stops. To its right, large C14 triple sedilia with cusped ogee heads, crocketed finials and pinnacles, and clustered shafts with foliate imposts. To its right, C18 plank door and lancet with patterned stained glass. Above, easternmost window has stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1872. C19 principal rafter roof with arch braces and C20 shields attached to corbels. Fittings include plain C13 tub font on round base, C17 octagonal panelled oak pulpit with chip carved band. C19 clustered shaft timber lectern. C19 benches and C20 choir stalls with shaped ends and decorated fleur de lys finials. 7 benches with shaped ends, C16, and single C15 bench with shaped ends and lozenge finials. Early C19 chest with bracket feet. Small C18 table with turned legs. Poor box made from moulded and chamfered C15 beam end. 2 clergy desks made from C15 benches with armrest ends and lozenge finials. Notable C18 altar rail, with projecting semi-circular central bay and turned and barley sugar balusters. Memorials include stamped brass to Gregorius Henson, 1613, with doggerel verse. Brass to Blagg family, 1876. Brass to Robert Thoroton signed ‘Gawthorp Sc. London’, 1905. 2 repainted hatchments, probably to Blagg family. Marble and slate tablet with apron, pilasters, cornice and urn, to Thomas Blagg, 1795. Classical tablet to Francis Blagg, 1814, signed’wood’. Stone tablets to Blagg family, 2 C19, 2 C20. Canopied timber war memorial tablet with curved brackets to tiled hood.
3 headstones. 1739, 1740, 1762. Leicestershire slate. That to left has shouldered arched top and incised scrolls, to Elenor Woollerton, 1762. Signed ‘James Sparrow’. Central square headed stone has scrollwork and foliate borders. In the style of J. Sparrow. To John Wooolerton, 1740. That to right has stepped arched head and scrollwork. To Thomas Wooolerton, 1739. Signed ‘J. Sparrow fecit’.