Car Colston St Mary

Monuments and Memorials

Key to Monuments

Chancel - North wall

1Grey slate medallion with white incised Roman lettering, upper and lower case, with Blagg arms top centre.

Trick of Blagg arms.

Blazon: Per pale, argent, two bendlets engrailed, between as many pouches sable, stringed or, impaling gules, a lion rampant argent, armed and ancient crown or.

Crest: on a torse of the colours a blague or pouch ermined, stringed as in the arms.

Mantling: sable and argent.

Motto: PARTAGEZ VOTRE BLAGUE

The inscription reads:

Remember also
THOMAS MATTHEWS
BLAGG MBE FSA
Patron of this Parish
1875-1948
&
ETHEL MARY
his wife
1885-1974

2Grey slate rectangular tablet with white incised roman lettering, upper and lower case, with a small, separate grey slate rectangular tablet with Blagg arms above.

The arms are: Argent two bendlets engrailed between as many pouches sable stringed or, and completed with crest, mantling and motto.

The inscription reads:

Remember also
THOMAS COLSTON
BLAGG
Patron of this Parish
1914-1983
and his wife
ELIZABETH MARY
1922-1994

Nave - North Wall

3Rectangular bronze tablet, between the organ and the chancel. It reads:

In memory of THOMAS BLAGG only son of
Henry Blagg of this place who was born at Car
Colston 10th May 1802 and died at Langford
28th August 1876.
Also of GRACE, his wife, d&h. of Page Goulson of
Knipton, co. Leic. by his wife Dorothy, d&h. of Robert
Sampey of Screveton; who was born 6th Oct 1812
& who died at Car Colston Manor 15th Mar 1898.
Both are buried at South Collingham in this county.

North Aisle

4A brass rectangular plate with clipped corners obscured by boiler room.

5A rectangular white marble tablet with grey marble border and inscription incised in Roman lettering upper and lower case. The marble border supports a moulded cornice with grey two-dimensional pyramidal background with white closed urn. The tablet supported by white tapering consoles.

The inscription reads:

BENEATH
are interred the Remains of
FRANCIS BLAGG
SURGEON
Who died Decr. 25th 1814 in the
43rd year of his age.
Made by Wood.

6A white marble medallion on a plain black marble base incised in Roman lettering, upper and lower case. The base flanked by pilasters supporting a plain cornice with a Nowy-headed black tympanum with a white closed urn. The tablet and pilasters rest on a plain white shelf supported by plain black consoles with apron.

The inscription reads:

BENEATH
this place lieth the body
OF
THOMAS BLAGG
SURGEON
who departed this life May 24th
1795
in the 49th year of his
age

7White marble rectangular tablet on black marble rectangular base incised in Roman upper case lettering.

The inscription reads:

TO THE MEMORY OF
SARAH BLAGG
RELICT OF THOMAS
AND
MOTHER OF FRANCIS BLAGG
LATE SURGEONS OF THIS PLACE
SHE DIED JULY 22nd 1838
AGED 86 YEARS

8Diamond-shaped hatchment of Blagg shield of arms, crest and mantling on all-black background indicating bachelor.

South aisle

9Diamond-shaped hatchment, on a lozenge, the Blagg coat of arms impaling arms of wife, gules, a lion rampant armed and ancient crown or, on all-black background indicating armigerous widow.

10Diamond-shaped hatchment of Blagg shield of arms, crest and mantling, on all-black background indicating bachelor.

11A rectangular brass plate on a rectangular wood base with the coat of arms of Robert Thoroton top centre, engraved in Roman upper and lower case lettering.

Blazon: Argent a fesse between three hunting horns sable impaling sable on a bend argent cotized or between six lions rampant of the third three scallops argent.

The inscription reads:

This tablet was erected in the year 1908
By a few members of the Thoroton Society
In memory of
ROBERT THOROTON
of Car Colston
Doctor of Physick & a Justice of the Peace
for this county
who died in the year 1678 and whose
body was buried in the stone sarcophagus
now preserved in this church.
In the year 1677 he published
“The Antiquities of Nottinghamshire”
a work of great labour
and erudition.

12Beneath the Thoroton memorial, a rectangular brass plate on a rectangular wood base with Blagg coat of arms centre top and engraved in Roman upper and lower case lettering.

The inscription reads:
CHAPEL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
This chapel was restored to the Glory of God
and in loving memory of
Thomas Colston Blagg
1914-1982
and consecrated on 11th November 1984
by the Lord Bishop of Southwell
the Right Reverend John Denis Wakeling MC MA

Chancel - East End

13Floor slab in memory of Thomas Hall, vicar of the parish from 1670 to 1730. Most of this is now obscured by the platform on which the altar stands.

14Partly obscured floor slab in memory of Mary Hall, wife of the above mentioned Thomas Hall, and who died in 1720.

15A very small brass plaque near to the new sanctuary lamp by the aumbry. It reads simply:

VICKY CROUCH
1939 - 2004
In loving memory

16Lying on its side and affixed to the north wall in the sanctuary is the headstone from the grave of Robert Thoroton.

Chancel roof

On corbels of roof beams, six shields, three to the north and three to the south.

North side east to west:

Argent in fess five lozenges gules. Newmarch

Bary gules and argent, a three point label azure. Barry

Sable a chevron argent between two martlets and a cross bottonée fitched of the same. Gloucester

South side east to west:

Argent on a bend sable between six crosses bottonée gules three bezants. Whatton.

Or on a fess gules three water-bougets argent. Bingham.

Argent two bendlets engiouled between as many pouches, sable, stringed or. Blagg.