For this church:
War Memorial in the Chapel
This is reported as originally being fitted on a wooden stand to the exterior of the building area and was brought inside and fitted on the south facing column wall of the south transept passage sometime after the clearance of the chapel by the National Trust following its use as a warehouse during the deconstruction of the main house.
The War Memorial Roll is painted on the inside of the left hand door of the wood stained tabernacle and includes names from both World Wars.
Estate Calvary Monument
The Estate Calvary Monument is positioned at the northern edge of the estate village of Hardwick and the names have obviously a considerable similarity.
The Calvary Monument was designed by W.E. Tower of London and constructed by the architectural sculptor and modeller, William Drinkwater Gough, a Canadian based in Lambeth, London. It is not clear if the commission came by recommendation from Ninian Comper who also worked on the chapel.
This ‘Calvary’ memorial was finally Blessed on September 25th, 1918.
The names recorded are, as stated, generally repeated on the memorial tabernacle Roll. However one name is different, that of Robert Smith, who joined the Sherwood Foresters Regiment.
Robert Smith was the name he informally adopted; his baptismal name was Rudolph Schmidt, and perhaps owing to the strength of feeling against ‘German’ sounding names he adopted the new one. Rudolph was born in France in 1884, the son of Anna Karolina Schmidt who was born in Zurich, Switzerland.
Following the death of his mother in 1890, ‘Dolph’ as he was commonly called, was fostered to several families linked to the Estates, both here and abroad. Whilst at Clumber he regularly attended the chapel where he became a boy acolyte and later in 1911, the adult thurifer.
It will be observed that Algenon Sidney Osborne Sweet, chorister in this chapel during 1897, who became Chaplin on HMS Natal and perished when the ship sank following an explosion on December 30th, 1915, is not listed on any of the above memorials but has a separate memorial plaque in the choir.