For this church:
The old church, to judge from the inner tower, was made from roughly coursed local blue-grey lias limestone.
The rebuilt church used fair-faced Ancaster ashlar, which was also used to reface the tower.
There were quarries in the village which provided a fragile building stone and, until the turn of the 20th century, there was a village lime-burning industry. A number of the buildings in the village still have residual stone foundations or masonry, the barns at Hilltop being now the most complete examples.
Coddington may have provided rubble stone for Newark Castle in the 13th century, according to Blagg. When William Philipot founded his Newark Almshouse charity in 1566 he stipulated, “that its pavage ... or else such other blue stone as is gotten in Coddington Field”.