For this church:
St John the Baptist
This new church of St John the Baptist, Colwick was built in 1950 replacing the old church that stood nearer to the River Trent and had fallen into disrepair and been abandoned in 1926. In between, a newly built parish hall served as a temporary church.
The church is a rectangular red brick building of plain design contemporary to the post second world war period. An extension to include a kitchen, meeting room and toilets was added in 1977 and a pitched roof added in 1985 replacing the previous flat roof.
Items of interest in the church include the modern altar which incorporates the original altar stone from the previous church of St John the Baptist, a 19th century Father Willis organ originally in St John’s Carrington, a font originally in St Mark’s Nottingham, a brass eagle lectern given in memory of Sir Ernest Jardine a local manufacturer and a stained glass memorial window in the west wall to Rev W S Hildesley, 35 years Rector of Colwick and his wife.
A rectory, built on the same site in 1947, was sold in 1980.
Particular thanks to Julie O’Neill for research on this entry