St Catherine


St Catherine’s church is situated within a typical tranquil country churchyard. It is 'L' shaped, with the northern part of the 'L' evidently being a later extension, thus the historic churchyard would be rectangular and quite small. The church is located at the western end of the area, though may originally have been central before extensions to the yard. Wooden post and rail fencing and sparse mixed hedging enclose the boundary on the north side. The southern boundary is partially enclosed by a continuation of the red brick wall from the western boundary, domestic buildings, rail fencing and mixed hedging. The eastern boundary of post and rail fencing also marks the extension of the burial area that possibly dates from 1906-7. The western boundary is marked with a wall of red brick, capped with flat copings and runs parallel to the main village road.

Lych gate

The entrance to the churchyard on the west side of the church is through a lych gate. The woodwork is possibly oak, with a pitched roof and wooden tiles. On the apex of the roof is an ornate cross. Above the entrance of the gate is a carved inscription: Enter His Gates with Thanksgiving. The lych gate was erected c1935 to the memory of George King who died on 23rd August 1928 aged 32, by his wife.

On each of the boundaries are several yew trees, the branches of which cover a large part of the original churchyard. There are also other specimens of trees and shrubs.

The churchyard contains a typical range of grave markers. It also has two table tombs on the north side. Many of the inscriptions on the older markers on the south side are illegible. The oldest legible marker is possibly that of Elizabeth Hall who died on May 14th 1734. There are a number of slate markers including one dating from 1736 that are well preserved.

Along the borders of the church walls on the north, south and west side of the church is a garden of rest. A memorial garden is situated under one of the largest yew trees on the eastern boundary of the original churchyard. 

Grave marker
to Henry Ash

In addition to the Waterloo and First and Second World War Memorials there is also a grave marker on the left of the Waterloo Memorial to Henry Ash of Cossall, Late Sergeant in the Prince Alberts Own Hussars, also Orderly to Lord Raglan Through the Whole of the Crimean War who died December 5th 1880 aged 58 Years.

In the extension to the churchyard are located three Commonwealth War Grave markers:

Kitchen, Arthur, Private, Training Reserve, 3rd Battalion, died 25th February 1917 aged 19 (also named on the WW1 Memorial)

Masters, Alfred Guy, Gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery, 48th Anti-Aircraft Coy, died 28th February 1917 aged 29

Hitt, Ronald, Able Seaman Royal Navy, H.M.S. Trumpeter, died 7th December 1944 aged 22