For this church:
Darlton St Giles
Official Listing Description
The following ar listed:
Parish church. c1200 and C19. Rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1863. Ashlar and rough hewn ashlar. Tile roofs. Coped ridges with single crosses to the east nave, east chancel and west and east north aisle. Single stack at east end of north aisle. Set on a plinth. Tower, nave, north aisle, north vestry and chancel. c1200 tower of 3 stages with a string course at each juncture and with C19 pyramidal roof. Single lancet to the west. The 4 belfry openings each have 2 lights and single stone mullion under a flat head. There is a single clock face to the south and west sides. The north side has, at the second stage, a single lancet. Abutting the north west aisle is a brick and tile lean-to. The C19 north aisle has a single multifoil with hood mould and label stops over. The north wall has 3 cusped and arched lights each with hood mould and label steps. The east wall has a small arched and cusped light in the apex. The vestry has a single small arched and cusped light with hood mould and label stops, to the left is a doorway with wooden door. The east vestry has a single arched and traceried 2-light window with cusping, hood mould and label stops. The east chancel has an arched 5-light window with intersecting tracery. In the south chancel is a central arched doorway with hood mould and decorated label stops. To the right is a single 2-light arched window and to the left a single arched light, both are C19 with tracery, cusping, hood mould and head label stops. The buttressed nave has 2 C19 arched 2-light windows with tracery, cusping, hood mould and label stops. To the left is a c1200 arched doorway with 2 slim engaged columns with waterleaf capitals supporting a moulded arch with dogtooth hood mould. Interior. 3 bay nave arcade with octagonal columns and moulded capitals supporting double chamfered arches, the western respond being a continuation of the inner chamfer and the eastern side supported on a castellated corbel. Double chamfered tower arch. The outer arch of the double chamfered chancel arch is supported on slim engaged columns with foliate decorated capitals. There is a chamfered arched vestry doorway. In the south chancel wall is a chamfered arched piscina and in the north wall is a piscina with cusped arch, decorated spandrel, drip mould and label stops. There is an arcaded and decorated ashlar reredos. The nave and north aisle roofs are decorated. The furniture is C19. On the north chancel wall are 2 c1500 brasses of a Knight and a Lady.
Lychgate and walls. Mid C19. Ashlar and wood. Tile roof topped with decorative iron crosses. The lychgate has 2 coped ashlar walls each surmounted by open decorative wooden traceried and cusped panels, these support the gabled roof with decorative bargeboards and pendants. The west side has a small carved double wooden gate. Attached to the north is a low rock-faced ashlar wall with chamfered coping, this extends for 10 metres. A similar wall is attached to the south of the lychgate extending south then curving east for 50 metres. Included for group value only.
3 chest tombs. 3 metres east of the chancel. c1818 and c1840. Ashlar and iron. 3 ashlar chest tombs enclosed within a rectangular iron compound. The northern most tomb to Mary ? is coffin shaped and is dated 1818, the central rectangular tomb to Mary Ann Newstead is dated 1845 and the similar southern most tomb to Thomas Newstead is dated 1842. All are decorated with stylised crosses. Enclosing the tombs are decorative iron railings set upon a chamfered ashlar base. At each corner is a hollow iron pier decorated with blind and open tracery. The damaged finials of these piers are now lying on the ground. Included for group value only.