Monuments and Memorials
There are few monuments within the church and these are mostly wall monuments.
the western wall of the nave, between the south porch and the tower arch,
is an ornate monument with a death’s head and other embellishments.
The inscription is corrupted, originally reading as follows, with the missing
portion in brackets:
|[TO THE MEMORY OF ROWLAND DAND ESQR LATE
OF MANSFIELD AND OF HIS BELOVED WIFE WHO WAS THE DAUGHTER OF HENRY
SAVILE OF COPLEY IN THE COUNTY OF YORK ESQ. HE DIED 17 MARCH 1678
IN THE 79 YEAR OF HIS AGE, WITH SEVERAL OF THEIR CHILDREN. ALSO]
JOHN DAND LATE OF NOTTINGHAM ESQR THEIR ELDEST SON LIES IN THE NEXT
GRAVE TO THEIRS.
Rowland and Margaret Dand were the parents of William
Mompesson’s second wife.
eastern wall of the nave, behind the lectern, is a memorial tablet to the
eldest son of a Victorian rector, Theophilus
|THE REVD. THEOPHILUS GARENCIÈRES
BACHELOR OF ARTS
SCHOLAR OF ST.JOHN’S COLLEGE
IN THE UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE.
CURATE OF ST.AUGUSTIN’S AND ST.FAITH’S
IN THE CITY OF LONDON
AND ELDEST SON OF THE REVD. THEOPHILUS SAMPSON
RECTOR OF THIS PARISH
HE WAS BORN OCTOBER 7TH 1831
AND DIED NOVEMBER 2ND 1856 AGED 25
THREE OF HIS FRIENDS APPRECIATING HIS WORTH
AND DEPLORING HIS LOSS
ERECTED THIS TABLET
the south chancel wall are the two brasses that were originally in the floor
of the chancel and marked the burials of the Stuart rectors, George and William
|HERE LYETH THE BODY OF MR GEORGE LAWSON
RECTOR OF EAKRING IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE. OB. 22D NOVR 1670. ÆT.
|RELIQUÆ GULIELMÆ MOMPESSON
ECC B.M. VIR DE SOUTHWELL CANONICIET HUJUS ECCLESITE PER ANNOS 38
RECTORIS DIGNISSIMI OBIIT 7 DIE MARTIJ 1708 ANNO ÆTATIS 70
IN SPEM BEATI RESURRECTIONIS.
In the floor of the nave, close
to the chancel steps, are marker stones
GILBERT MICHELL 1722-58, (north side)
SAMUEL ABSON 1762-77
WILLIAM BOAWRE 1777-91 (south side)
At the south-eastern
corner of the chancel, under a small window, is a seat with a brass plaque
carrying the following inscription:
|TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND TO RECORD THE GENEROSITY
AND SKILL OF CHARLES HAROLD BOND RECTOR OF THIS PARISH 1915 TO 1936
WHO CARVED AND GAVE THIS SEAT, THE REREDOS AND PROCESSIONAL CROSS.
THIS TABLET WAS PLACED HERE BY HIS FRIENDS IN 1937.