East Drayton
St Peter

Bells

A western tower containing a ring of six bells.

  Inscription Size Weight
1

JOHN TAYLOR & CO * LOUGHBOROUGH *

A.M.D.G.
GIVEN BY
THE PEOPLE OF EAST DRAYTON
IN MEMORY OF
GEORGE WILLIAM DAVISON
AND
FRANCIS CYRIL PINDER

27" 4.1.9
2

JOHN TAYLOR & CO * LOUGHBOROUGH *

IN MEMORY OF CHARLES, MABEL, AND EDMUND
WILKINSON AND THEIR PARENTS.
THE GIFT OF THE FAMILY
A.W., C.S., & R.F.W.
A.D. 1952

29" 5.0.9
3 IESVS BE OVR SPEED D H 1744 31.25" 5.3.4
4 J. TAYLOR & CO. LOUGHBOROUGH 1873 32.75" 5.1.23
5 I sweetly toling men do call to taste on meats that feeds the soole 1606 35" 7.0.17
6 Tenor

* JOHN TAYLOR & CO *

RECAST 1952
THE GIFT OF
M.R.C.L. AND A.F.L. BURGESS
IN MEMORY OF
REVD. A.F.L. & F.M. WILKINSON

40.5" 12.2.22

The bells are hung in the low-sided cast iron frame for 6 bells, with cast iron headstocks and ball bearings all by Taylors in 1952.

The older 4 were restored, the tenor recast and the peal augmented to 6 in 1952.

The old tenor (40" 11.1.18) was inscribed:

J TAYLOR & C. LOUGHBOROUGH 1873

Daniel Hedderly, who was living in London in the Parish of St Paul-in-the-Bail in 1744, cast the third bell.

The fifth bell is the work of Henry II Oldfield.

The inscription on the fifth bell Detail of the maker’s mark

Prior to 1873 the old second and fourth bells were:

  Size Weight
2 32.75" 6.1.22
4 37.75" 10.0.0

Unfortunately details of the inscriptions do not survive.

The Wilkinson records the unusual custom here of painting ‘cheeses’ on the tower walls to mark the occasion of weddings.

The “Pancake” bell was rung formerly on Shrove Tuesday at 11 am. The Passing Bell was rung 3X3 for a man and 3X2 for a woman.

In 1505 Lambert Lambe left 4 marks for new bells.

A church account book contains the following references to the bells. (Being a bell ringer was obviously thirsty work)

         s    d
1738    For ale the Ringers had   7   6
1757   A piece of Leather for ye great bell   0   6
    For ale at mending ye bells at ye church   0   6
    For ale for ye Ringers for Christmas and Gunpowder Plot   7   6
1770   Pd for ale for the Towns Ringers moneys allowed by the town
for Christmas and Gunpowder Plot
  7   6
1773   pound candles for the ringers   0   3
    Mending great Bell wheel   4   0
    Mending little bell wheel and new pully block   3   0
1775   Pd Thos Stanniland for ringing ale   3   9
1776   To George Whitlam for a bell clapper   0   2
1783   Pd to John Durham a bill for oil for the bells   2   3
1789   Pd Mich. Holmes a bill for work mending the bells   5   9
1792   Ringing ale   7   6
1794   Ringing ale to Wm Harpham   11   5
1799   Rich. Harpham mending the Bells   3   0
1800   Pd Thos. Bellamy for mending bell wheels   2   6
1803   Pd Thos. Bellamy for mending bell wheels   10   6
    Richard Harpham for mending bell tongue   7   6
1805   Mr Fletcher for mending bells   7   6
1807   1st bell wheel 2/6. Third Bell Wheel 7/-   9   6
1810   Ale for ringing   17   5
1811   Pd to Joseph Whitlam for 2 pulley wheels   1   6
1819   Pd to Robt Rowson for mending bells   14   9
    Pd to Richd. Harpham for mending bells   26   0

There was a small field up a lane called Long Ridding which bears the name Bell-String Close. The tenant, who was usually the parish clerk, had it rent free on the condition that he provided new bell ropes when necessary.

The restoration of the bells in 1952 cost £1600, raised through the usual route of whist drives, dances and various sales of work.