For this church:
East Markham St John the Baptist
Features and Fittings
There is an ashlar font with flying buttresses rising from a base decorated with fleuron, probably an inverted 14th century font, supporting the bowl. The bowl is dated 1686 and has a conical, decorated canopy of timber, octagonal in form, with carved finials and foliate ornament from the 17th century.
The panelled and decorated pulpit dates from the 17th century.
A 17th century alms box with iron fittings stands by the south door. The three iron hasps indicate that the vicar and both churchwardens had to be present to open it. It bore the inscription 'Remember the Poor' in the early 20th century but this is no longer visible.
The brass lectern dates from the late Victorian period.
The modern wooden screen across the tower room entrance was erected in memory of Lilian Agatha Briggs, wife of the Rev A. E. Briggs, who died 15 October 1936.
The altar rails date from the 17th century and have turned balusters; the altar is surrounded by four riddel posts with painted surface decoration and gilded angels, that appears to be the work of Sir Ninian Comper.
Ninian Comper also designed the altar frontal which dates from the 1890s.
The frontals of the choir stalls are dedicated to Stafford Hempsall (1930).
The east bay of the south aisle contains the restored and reduced 15th century chancel screen with panel tracery surmounted by a large 19th century crucifix. The screen was removed from the chancel arch to its present position in 1897 to make way for an impressive screen and organ loft designed by Comper. However, a disagreement between the 7th Duke of Newcastle and the Reverend Albert Briggs and his churchwardens resulted in the proposed work being abandoned.
Medieval Cross Slabs
There are three fragments of medieval cross slab in the chancel and one outside. See the Archaeology section for further details.