For this church:
Edwalton Holy Rood
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C12, C14, C15, C18. Tower mid C16. Chancel by Brewill and Baily, 1894. Vestry by L. W. Nunn, mid C20. Coursed and squared rubble, dressed stone and brick. Ashlar dressings. Slate, lead and plain tile gabled and lean-to roofs. Partial plinths. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry, south porch. Brick west tower, single stage, has dressed stone plinth plus eaves band and parapet. Pair of diagonal buttresses to west. West side has C19 transomed double lancet in C15 style. Above, on each side, a single chamfered lancet. Nave, coursed rubble, raised in brick C16 has to south clerestory with 2 square headed mullioned casements, that to right partly blocked. North side has at each end, C19 rendered brick buttress and broad off-centre buttress, all on stone plinths. To left, double lancet with chamfered mullion. To right, blocked C12 doorway with chamfered imposts and tympanum. Above, central C16 mullioned casement. Chancel, partly re-skinned 1983, has to east chamfered plinth and string course and a pair of corner buttresses. East end has 5 light Perpendicular style lancet with panel tracery. North side has square headed Perpendicular style triple lancet with panel tracery. South side has central buttress. To left, Tudor arched door. To right, triple lancet as to north. Buttressed vestry, mid C20, L-plan, 3 by 2 bays, has chamfered plinth, 2 coped gables and metal casements. To west, door with segmental head. North side has stone inscribed ‘L.W. Nunn, Archt.’ South aisle east end has restored chamfered mullioned casement, C16. South side, 3 bays, has a buttress at each end, that to right restored and with incised sundial. To left, restored mullioned window. To right, similar chamfered mullioned window and incised sundial. South porch, C18, has dentillated eaves and coped gable. To south, rebated doorway with elliptical head. To left, ornate iron scraper. Interior has stone benches. Restored inner doorway with four centred arched head and C16 half-round hood mould with mask stops. Tower chamber has west window with late C19 stained glass. Panelled dado. C16 cleft ladder. Nave south arcade, early C14, 3 bays, has 2 octagonal piers and matching responds with square chamfered bases and octagonal capitals. Double chamfered arches. Restored low pitched C15 style roof. North side has to east, stained glass window to Thurman family, 1906, by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Chamfered and rebated tower arch has C15 style traceried screen, 1949. Chancel has chamfered and rebated arch containing C15 style traceried screen with rood, 1886. North side has to left, opening containing organ, doorway and to right, stained glass window, 1910 and 1913 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. East end has panelled dado, aumbry, marble gradine and tabernacle. East window has stained glass to Turner family, 1918 and 1924, by William Morris & Co. South side has to east C15 style aumbry, piscina and triple sedilia with Latin memorial inscriptions to 3 clergy. Principal rafter roof with arch braces and collars. South aisle has restored lean-to roof. East end has stained glass window c.1960. South side has to east, stained glass window to Halford family, c.1923. To west, stained glass window to A. W. Brewill, RIBA, 1923, Architect of the chancel. Fittings include chamfered rectangular font bowl, C16, on 4 C19 marble shafts and square base. Hipped wooden cover with re-used fleur de lys finial. Traceried octagonal skeleton pulpit on ashlar base. Brass eagle lectern c.1920. 2 C18 carved panel-back chairs. C19 traceried panelled stalls and desks. 2 late C20 oak collection boxes on stands. 2 C18 painted canvas commandment boards. Memorials include Gothic alabaster tablet to Freeth family, 1823-47. Bronze War Memorial tablet, c.1920.
Memorial lychgate. 1932. Timber. Shingled hipped roof. Chamfered ashlar plinth. 4 straight and 4 curved posts with sills and lintels. Common rafter roof with collars and Celtic cross finial. Lintel inscribed “To the Glory of God and in memory of Kathleen Carol Halford who died 3rd January 1932 + This Memorial is dedicated by her parents.” Included for group value only.
Headstone. 1686. Ashlar. Shouldered arched top. Partly erased inscription reading “ ..Hallam .. ied May .. 10 1686.”