For this church:
Five of the six church bells date back to 1793 and the sixth, the treble bell, back to 1912. The opening of the new five church bells in 1793 was noted in the Nottingham Journal of 10th August:
On Monday the 12th instant will be opened at Elston near Newark, a peal of five Bells cast and hung by T. Osborn of Downham in Norfolk. The tenor is in A. A prize of five hats will be given to the Company who ring the best round peal for the space of thirty minutes.
Mr Osborn’s stay in the neighbourhood will be about a week. Any application or letters addressed to him at the Rutland Arms in Newark or Elston will be attended to.
Unfortunately details of the results of the contest do not survive.
In 1912 John Taylor & Co, bellfounders of Loughborough rehung the five bells and augmented them to six in a cast iron low sided frame. The back five have lost their canons and are hung from cast iron headstocks with plain bearing. The bells were more recently rehung on new bearings and the frictional parts of the fittings were also overhauled by the same company in 2010.
The particulars of the bells are as follows:
The Treble bell was in memory of John Lloyd Wharton who died in 1912. He was MP for Durham (1871-1874) and also for Ripon (1886-1906) besides being director of the North Eastern Railway. The largest bell weighs half a ton and the smallest weighs just under a quarter of a tonne.