For this church:
St Michael and All Angels
East Bingham Deanery
This small church was probably Norman as a wholly Norman-looking corbel head remains, and round arches with some nailhead in the wall.
It is a stone building consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a low embattled tower at the west end containing 2 bells (1702 and 1856). Originally there was a Transitional south arcade demolished in 1786. Its present appearance is primarily the result of the restoration of 1855-7, when the tower was re-built and the exterior plastered in imitation of ashlar.
There are 17th century altar rails with balusters. There are mural monuments to Francis Launder (1822), by Joseph Hall the Younger of Derby, and F. W. Norton (1865). A stained glass window in the chancel in memory of Rev. Robert Weatherell, Rector 1851-83, was presented by his widow, who also gave an American organ in 1895.
The church was restored in 1909.
Particular thanks to Timothy Southall for research on this entry
Work has been done on this entry but some pages are incomplete. If you can add information to help complete the entry, please contact our Research Manager.