Finningley Holy Trinity & St Oswald

Official Listing Description

SK69NE

 

8/64

FINNINGLEY

RECTORY LANE
(west end)

Church of the Holy Trinity
and St. Oswald

Grade I

Church. Late C11, C12, C14 and C15; restored 1885 by C. Hodgson Fowler. Rubble stone, Welsh slate roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with south porch and north aisle; 3-bay chancel. Tower: late C11; 3 stages. Quoins, chamfered plinth; west side has round-headed and rectangular slit windows. String course beneath louvred belfry openings of 2 round-headed lights divided by shafts with block capitals set in round-arched recesses. Offset string course beneath embattled ashlar parapet. Nave: plinth, quoins. Gabled C19 south porch with wooden Tudor-arched entrance and inner side walls incorporating medieval cross slabs. Unrestored C12 south door with shafted jambs, damaged carved capitals and roll-moulded arch with hoodmould. On left of porch is a restored, square-headed 1-light Perpendicular window; on right are 2 restored 2-light windows with ogee lights and square heads. C15 north aisle, unrestored and of larger rabble: lower quoins of blocked north door; square-headed windows of 2 and 3 cusped lights in hollow-chamfered surrounds; string course with gargoyle beneath parapet with moulded copings. Chancel: early C14; small priests' door with chamfered, pointed arch and hoodmould; two, pointed 2-light windows on right have quatrefoils and hoodmoulds. Offset diagonal buttresses flank cusped 3-light east window with wheel-traceried heady east gable copings with cross. North chancel window as south; continuation of aisle has plain square-headed 3-light window and Tudor-arched 3-light window with hoodmould. Interior: low C12 tower arch with chamfer, impost band and hoodmould. North arcade has octagonal piers with moulded capitals to double-chamfered arches; round-arched head to blocked north door. Outstanding nave roof of 5 bays with arch braces rising from short posts to moulded tie beans having rosettes in the mould and bosses beneath king posts; carved quadrant braces from tie beams to king pasts have carved rosettes and cusping; brattished wall plate, butt purlins with hollow-chamfered arrises, longitudinal braces from king post to ridge. Chancel arch: and trefoiled responds to a cavetto-moulded, pointed arch with hoodmould; string course runs around east end and forms hoodmould to 3-seat sedilia, piscina recess and priests' door. Chancel roof: moulding to arch-braced principal rafters with braces to ridge from spandrel pieces; various repainted floral bosses; masks on the wallplates. Font: plain round tub on 2-step plinth; Jacobean wooden cover. Pulpit: hexagonal; oak-panelled with moulded cornice and date '1604/Thomas Partrik'. Monuments: on north aisle wall in ogee recess to John Harvey (d.1835) below it a brass records the restoration of 1885. Marble wall monument to north of chancel east window to Edmund Harvey (d.1823: erected 1828 by John Harvey) has cherub beneath corniced panel with side scrolls and cartouche over. Listing NGR: SK6695299137