For this church:
Flawborough St Peter
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. Rebuilt 1841. For Rev. Sturton. Restored 1892. Vestry 1892. Brick, partly rough cast, with gabled slate roofs. Ashlar dressings and chamfered plinth. Windows are mainly single and double chamfered lancets with iron lozenge shaped glazing bars. All windows have hood moulds. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry. West tower, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, moulded eaves, coped parapet and 4 pinnacles. 4 clasping buttresses, 2 setoffs. First stage has to south, a lancet. Above, late C18 slate and ashlar tablet. West side has re-sited and re-cut Cll doorway with zigzag, nailhead and scallop bands, 2 pairs of colonettes with leaf and scallop capitals. Above, datestone inscribed: "This Church rebuilt 1840". North side has rounded stair turret with conical slab roof and curved Gothic style door. Second stage has to south, blocked round opening. To west, cusped C13 style double lancet with projecting quoins and hood mould. Third stage has 4 single lancet openings. Nave, 2 bays, has moulded eaves and coped parapet and gable. On each side, 3 ashlar buttresses and 2 double lancets with Y tracery. Chancel, 2 bays, has coped east gable with kneelers and cross. East end has C14 style triple lancet with panel tracery. South side has 2 mullioned casements with cusped heads in square headed reveal. Vestry, single bay, lean-to, has wooden double lancet to north. East end has pointed doorway with re-set conical finial. Chamfered and rebated elliptical tower arch. Tower chamber has draught screen with Gothic tracery. Aisleless nave has strutted king post roof. Chancel has similar lower roof. Chancel south side has to east, restored C13 piscina. Vestry has no architectural features. Fittings include C12 font bowl with interlaced arcading, with C19 cover and octagonal base and stem. Softwood stalls, desks and benches, similar panelled octagonal pulpit, altar rail on scrolled iron stands, bracketed wrought iron lectern, all 1892. Framed donations board referring to 1841 restoration, with painting of previous church and inscription. Monuments include oval cast iron tablet with sarcophagus, to Ellen Bland, 1822. Gabled marble tablet on brackets, with dove and scroll, 1850, signed "Davies, West Brompton."
Pair of headstones. 1715 and 1717. Slate. That to left has square head with incised angel, flanked to left by hourglass. Incised date "1715". 4 lines verse. To John Mitchell, senior and wife. 1717. That to right has square head, 2 incised angels and text "Come Ye Blessed". Panel with raised lettering reading "Here lies the Bodys of John and Bennett sons of John and Eliz. Mitchell. John died Oct. 6th 1715. Bennett died Mar. 14th 1720". 4 lines of verse and quotation below.
Pair of headstones. 1728. Slate. That to left slightly tapered with incised angel at head. 4 lines verse. To Hannah Cooke. That to right has square head with incised angel and text "To Die is Gain". 6 lines verse. To Page Smith.
Pair of headstones. 1719 and 1720. Slate. Arranged back to back. That to west has incised angel and head text. 4 lines of verse. To Henry Smith. 1719. That to east has square head with angel flanked by hourglass and cross bones. Text across top edge and head. Verse couplet. To Anne Smith, wife of Henry Smith. 1720.