For this church:
The present structure, considerably larger than its predecessors, occupies more than half the site. In plan it resembles an assymetrical tau cross with a semi-circular eastward extension reminiscent of an apse.
The stem, orientated approximately WSW-ENE, is made up of the updated Worship Hall of 1957 with its 1995 westward extension together with the adjoining north range development of vestry, office, meeting room and toilets of the same date. In total it is about 60ft long and 50ft wide, the width of the Worship Hall, dictated by the 1957 frames, being some 30ft.
The cross-bar comprises the 2000 Phase 2 development of foyer/reception area, offices, baptistry, hall, kitchen and other facilities and measures some 110ft by 30ft. It includes a first floor multi-purpose room (at present a prayer room) with balcony. The eastward extension, of 14 ft radius, is currently a lounge.
The exterior walls are of brick which covers the 1957 laminated wood frames and structural steel components of the later expansions. The outer wall of the north range has five brick buttresses with intervening wood-framed glazing. The others are also pieced by double-glazed windows where appropriate.
The roof, with two exceptions, is steeply pitched and pantiled. The single-storey north range is flat-roofed whilst the west end of the Worship Hall has a triangular glazed roof with a metal support framework. Further light comes from four windows near the ridge of the north-facing roof pitch with a row of eight close to the eaves. All these are electrically operated, as are the three illuminating the hall and lounge. A natural ventilation turret adds to the multi-functionality of the roof which is, of course, fully insulated.
The main entry faces Leahurst Road and was constructed as part of Phase 2. The glazed entrance screen, stretching from ground to roof and built round a cross, has the motto “Come Receive Overflow” etched to the right of the wooden door. This, with its three inset glass panels, opens into a small vestibule. From here an inner wood and glass door set in another glazed screen with cross leads into the foyer/reception area with a third floor-to-ceiling cross. To the right is the north range of rooms already mentioned. On the left are the church and incumbent’s offices separated by a side entrance and a staircase up to the prayer room and balcony. This overlooks the floor panels of the central sunken baptistry space. Beyond is a hall space and service rooms. Dominating the open area is a striking mural by Marianne Shillingford reflecting the parish’s belief in the words of Ezekiel 47:9 - “Where the river flows everything will live”.
The design of this whole space stretching south from the main door was greatly influenced by two criteria: openness and flexibility. The first is served by the emphasis on glazing which allows sight of the church activities from outside. The second is based on the use of a series of sliding screens which allow several permutations of separation involving reception area, baptistry, hall and Worship Hall.
This, to the right of the baptistry, is basically the 1957 church extended and modernised. The laminated frames, spaced at their original 10ft. Intervals, are linked by the internal plasterboard walling. Apart from a varnished wooden board listing the clergy of the church the pale-painted walls are bare but are used for displays/exhibitions as required. Lighting from the roof has already been outlined and previous problems with the large triangular window over the sanctuary have been overcome by an electrically-operated blind. Comfort is further enhanced by 5 radiators fed from condensing boilers, as is the underfloor heating of foyer/baptistry/hall.
Blue-grey carpeting of the congregational area of the Worship Hall supports grey and dark-red upholstered chairs for up to 164 people. The Sanctuary, after its reordering of a few years ago, is now a 2-step terracotta carpeted semi-permanent dais. The cloth-covered Altar table is centre-front with a cross mounted on the wall behind. Removable communion rails are erected as appropriate and the absence of fixed instruments in the south-west music area adjacent to the fire door adds to flexibility. The audio-visual system includes suspended spot/floodlights controlled, as are other features, from a desk on the right just inside the hall.
Spiritual requirements and environmental consciousness have been combined in the development of the church over the last 15 years, particularly in Phase 2, and the designs incorporate the latest technologies based on high-performance, high-grade materials.
Timbers and roofs
No bellframe or hangings.
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
The fabric of the entire building dates from 1957 and later on a new site which was historically the site of Bridgford Covert, a small patch of woodland (at least from 1884).
There is no defined churchyard. The building sits amidst a housing development. No burials occur.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology in the churchyard (ie the area immediately surround the church), is considered to be LOW comprising mainly construction evidence from the 1950s and later. Below the present interior floors it is considered to be LOW being principally stratigraphy from the 1950s building.The archaeology of the upstanding fabric is principally that of buildings from 1957 to 2000 and is representative of the architecture of the late 20th century. There is an UNKNOWN potential for earlier stratigraphy relating to the site prior to its use as woodland in the late 19th century.
Exterior:There are no burials. Deposits around the church may contain evidence of the 1950s construction.
Interior:Stratigraphy under the entire building is likely to comprise, almost exclusively, 1957-2000 deposits. Upstanding fabric is largely intact from the same period.