For this church:
Gedling All Hallows
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C13, C14. Restored 1890. Vestry and organ chamber 1925. Coursed and squared rubble and dressed stone. Gabled and lean-to plain tile and slate roofs. Ashlar dressings. Moulded and chamfered plinths, moulded sill bands, coved and chamfered eaves. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, vestry, organ chamber, south porch. West tower, c.1300 and c.1320, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, mask corbel table with corner spouts, and crenellated parapet. 4 pairs of corner buttresses, 3 setoffs. Setback octagonal broach spire with 4 gabled lucarnes with double lancets and 4 niches with figures. Above, 4 smaller lucarnes and weathercock. First stage has to west, restored double lancet with hood mould. Second stage has 4 cusped double lancets and a clock each side. Third stage has 4 larger double lancets with hood moulds, stops and finials. Nave, c.1200, c.1300 and C15, has west end with sill band, coped gable and cross. Restored C13 doorway with shafts and hood mould. Above it, triple lancet with reticulated tracery, hood mould and stops. Flanked by single gabled niches with mask corbels, that to right containing figure. Crenellated clerestory has on each side 5 square headed untraceried triple lancets. North aisle, 4 bays, has coped parapet and diagonal buttress to east. North side has 2 buttresses and to east, 2 C13 triple lancets. To their right, chamfered doorway and another triple lancet. All have hood moulds. To right again, small cusped lancet. South aisle, 4 bays, has sill band, coved eaves with gargoyles, and crenellated parapet. East end has restored C13 triple lancet with hood mould and stops. South side has 3 buttresses. To east, 2 C13 triple lancets as north aisle. To west, C14 cusped triple lancet with hood mould. Parapeted single bay vestry has to north, mullioned casement and door. Above it, large copper lamp on brackets. East side has projecting bay with a mullioned casement. Organ chamber has sill band, coped gable and a buttress. To north, a lancet with Y tracery. Chancel, C13, 4 bays, restored, has sill band and coped east gable with cross. East end has 2 corner buttresses and small central buttress. 3 splayed single lancets with shafts. Above, quatrefoil window. North side has late C14 cusped triple lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. South side has 3 buttresses. Central C13 priest’s door with filleted moulding and shafts. Above, to east, 4 single lancets with filleted shafts and moulded heads. Linked hood mould, to west, rectangular low side window. Above it, restored C14 double lancet with hood mould. South porch, C14, has 2 diagonal buttresses with crocketed finials, moulded coped gable and cross. Moulded doorway with impost band and hood mould with stops. Above, crocketed gabled niche. Interior has stone benches and pointed barrel vault. Moulded impost band. C14 inner doorway with hood mould. Nave arcades, 5 bays, c.1300, have octagonal piers with moulded bases and round seats. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. Low pitched roof, C15, with bosses, wall shafts and struts. West end has doorway and above it, window with shafts and hood moulds. North aisle west end has wooden screen incorporating C15 fragments. North side windows have stained glass, late C19 and 1903. To east, C14 cusped tomb recess and aumbry. East end has blocked C15 window, flanked by blocked C13 arch to left, and by rood stair door to right. South aisle east end has stained glass window, 1926. South side has window with Bardolph Arms, late C20. Both aisles have C18 boarded roofs. Chancel arch, C14, double chamfered and rebated. Chancel has sill band. North side has to east, 2 triangular headed aumbries. East end has stained glass window, 1919. South side has to east, restored C14 double piscina and matching sedilia with clustered shafts. Carved and painted late C19 principal rafter roof. Fittings include octagonal C19 font. Octagonal chip-carved pulpit, C17, on C19 plinth. 2 C17 carved armchairs. Early C17 carved communion table. Panelled stalls, desks and screen, 1925. Cross frame benches, C19. Lectern, 1951. Memorials include fragment of C13 cross and foliated cross slab. C15 incised slab. 5 Stanhope hatchments. Early C19 panels with Lord’s Prayer, Creed and Commandments. Classical marble tablets, 1734, 1824 and 1836. Mosaic war memorial tablet, 1918, in alabaster frame.
Font. Now churchyard ornament. C14. Ashlar. Octagonal stem with simple capital. Octagonal bowl.