For this church:
Bassetlaw and Bawtry Deanery
A church is mentioned here in the Domesday Book. The original chancel was Norman and the restored arch remains as do fragments of the corbel table and the sedilia.
This stone building consists of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and west tower. There is a Transitional south doorway, sedilia and font in the north transept. The embattled tower is Early English with 8 pinnacles and contains 6 bells, re-hung in 1893. It is the only major part left after the church was largely rebuilt in 1869 by C J Neale.
The transepts, vestry and organ chamber were added by public subscription. The font is of the 18th century, a big plain baluster. A new pulpit, reading desk and seat, of oak and stone, were added in 1886.
Particular thanks to Rowan Gillam-Hull for research on this entry.
Work has been done on this entry but some pages are incomplete. If you can add information to help complete the entry, please contact our Research Manager.