St Mary and All Saints
Monuments and Memorials
On the east wall of the north aisle, there are three memorials dedicated to the Oliver family. A small white marble lozenge shaped plaque has the dedication:
|Robert, son of John & Ann Oliver of this place. Born 3rd November 1800, and died 6th November 1823. Seized in the prime of life with a lingering and at last fatal disease, he was brought to the experimental knowledge of Christ as a Saviour on the bed of sickness, and attaining to equal ripeness in the faith evidenced the consolation and power of religion in the meekness of his disposition in the humility of mind and in the firm and joyful hope of everlasting life
Next to it is a small square tarnished brass plate which is high up on the wall and cannot be read. This plate is said to have originally been moved from a ledger stone where it was described under one of the seats in the nave by Godfrey in 1907 before being moved to its present position. It is said to be inscribed:
|Beneath lies the body of Thomas Oliver son of John & Ann Oliver who died Nov 11th 1801 aged 3 years.
Next to this is a small white marble lozenge shaped plaque inscribed:
Died December 21st 1833, aged 77 years.
Wife of the above.
Died August 31st 1848 age 83 years
On the west wall of the north aisle is a brass plate which is possibly the breastplate from a coffin which is inscribed:
|Ann Oliver. Died August 31st 1848 age 83
In the nave before the floor was replaced in the 1970s, there were said to be two or three nearly illegible floor stones in the nave to members of the Oliver family. These now lean against the outside of the church against the west end of the north aisle.
| Brass monuments
to John Storer and
his son, John
There are three memorials dedicated to the Storer family, two in the chancel and one on the south side of the west wall of the nave. The two large ornamental brass plates side by side in the chancel floor are each decorated with an arch and the sacred monogram IHS. These were made by Harston of Lombard Street, Newark. The one on the left is inscribed:
In memory of John Storer MD FRS&L
only son of the Revd John Storer of Fosse
way in the county of Kinross by his wife Susan
daughter of John Stewart Esq of Foss in Perth
shire. He died Sepr 17th 1837 age 90 years and
is buried in this church.
Also of his first Wife Mary 2nd daughter and
co-heiress of James Douglas of Carlisle 3rd Son
of Sir William Douglas 3rd Bart of Kilhead and
of his wife Mary daughter of Sir Patrick
Maxwell of Springkell, baronet: she was the
widow of WR Middlemore Esq of Somerby
Hall Lincolnshire, died July 19th 1803 and
is buried at Grantham.
Also of his second Wife Lois, daughter
and Coheiress of the Revd Hammond Turner,
Rector of this Church and Lord of this Manor.
She died Feb 7th 1836 age 88 years and
is buried in this Church.
The second brass plate in the chancel is inscribed:
In memory of John Storer MA only son
of John Storer MD and Mary his Wife.
He was Rector of this Church for 29
years and principal official of the Peculiar
of Bridgenorth, died at Clifton February 4th 1837
aged 54 years and is buried in this Church.
Also of his first Wife Charlotte 2nd daughter
and Coheiress of the Revd Charles Wylde DD
Rector of St Nicholas Nottingham and
Prebendary of Southwell, 4th son of William
Wylde Esq of Nettleworth, by his Wife Esther
only daughter and heiress of the Revd George
Staunton Brough of Thoroton Hall and Rector
of Staunton. She died at Sidmouth Jany 29th
1816 aged 25 years and was buried there.
Also of his second Wife Elizabeth daughter
of Thomas Whitmore Esq of Apley Park in
the county of Shropshire. Born Sepr 5th 1780
and Died May 25th 1866.
“For so he giveth his beloved sleep.”
On the south side of the west wall of the nave is a plain white marble tablet on a black background dedicated to Charlotte Storer who died in 1816:
|To the memory of Charlotte, wife of John Storer, AM rector of this parish, and third daughter of Charles Wylde, DD Rector of St Nicholas in Nottingham. She was a rare gift of God, soon taken away; rich in the faith of a Crucified Saviour, and that faith evidenced by its fruits, a holy life. A Flower early opened by the Eternal Spirit for immortal bliss, she left this present scene to her own Joy, but to the sorrow of her surviving relatives, January 29th 1816 aged 25. Leaving three sons John, Charles and George. Her body is deposited in the church yard of Sidmouth Devonshire
Over the north doorway at the west end of the north aisle, a casket shaped marble tablet on a black background commemorates the restoration of the church in 1837 when the north aisle was added.
ANNO DOMINI 1837
This church was enlarged and beautified
at the sole expense of Dr Storer:
for which, the parishioners of Hawks
worth have erected this tablet as
a testimony of their grateful remembrance.
J Oliver, B Sumner, churchwardens
In the chancel, four previous rectors of Hawksworth are commemorated with their names and dates cut into the stone wall.
On the south wall of the chancel to the left of the priest’s door are two names:
|Richard Bradford, MA
On the north wall of the chancel to the right of the vestry door near the communion rails,
On the north wall of the chancel to the left of the vestry door and now partially obliterated by the mid 19th century choir stall, is the commemoration which village history records as: ‘Humphrey Brailsford March 21st 1727’. This date may not be accurate since Brailsford was rector of Hawksworth until his death in 1733.