For this church:
Monuments and Memorials
Robert de Compton (Snr)
The casement of the brass of the first Sir Robert de Compton who died in 1308 is under the tower. This Robert de Compton is probably the father of the Robert de Compton whose effigy is in the chancel.
The effigy laid in an elaborately carved recess is believed to be of Sir Robert de Compton. Click here for further description and photographs.
A floor stone near the north door bears an inscription in Lombardic capitals:
A brass of two kneeling figures and a shield of arms, formerly affixed to the slab have disappeared.
Post-reformation Floor Monuments
Under the tower is a floor stone with a brass plate in memory of Anne Bowling who died in 1790
Also under the tower is a small brass plate inscribed:
The tomb of Robert Waldron, a 17th to 18th century rector of the church, along with several of his children, is located under the tower.
There are other floor stones under the tower, which appear to be 18th century, but as this area is used for storage, access is difficult.
Nearby is a floor stone in memory of William Deeping who died in 1835 and his daughter, Mary who died, aged 4, in 1825.
In the north aisle there are floor stones to the Holden family: Alexander (d1769) and Mary (d1746).
Floor stones in the south aisle are to William and Mary Sampey (d1791) and John Deeping (d1794). There are other floor stones in the south aisle but they are too worn to identify.
On the north wall there is an elaborate memorial to the Holden family, dated 1769.
A rectangular plaque inscribed:
Other members of the Holden family
Other wall memorials to the Holden family are to: another Robert (d1872) and the Rev Alexander Atkinson Holden, rector of the parish for seven years, who died in 1882.