For this church:
Holme Pierrepont St Edmund
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, 1666 rebuilt by the Marquis of Dorchester, restored 1878-81 by T. C. Hine, when the chancel was rebuilt, further restorations 1912 and 1960, spire restored c.1980. Ashlar. Slate roofs. Single stack to east end of north nave. Parapets and coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave and east chancel. Set on a plinth. Tower with spire, nave, south aisle, south porch, south organ chamber and chancel. Diagonal buttressed single stage embattled C14 tower with single large corner finials, remains of 3 gargoyles and topped with a C15 spire. Set on a moulded plinth. The west side has a single ogee arched light and the south side a moulded arched doorway, 4 stair lights and a single larger rectangular light. The 4bell chamber openings each have 2 arched and cusped lights under a triangular arch. The buttressed north wall has 3 1666 round arched windows each with 3 round arched lights and tracery. To the left of that on the right is a blocked 4 centred arched doorway with hood mould. To the left and projecting is the brick and ashlar roof of a cellar. The north chancel has a single similar window and moulded arched doorway to the left. The east chancel has a single C19 arched 3 light window with some cusped tracery and single transom, the window being blind under. Hood mould and decorative label stops over. The east chapel with 2 pilaster buttresses each topped with single obelisk finials surmounted by single orbs has a single similar 1666 window. Under extends a band which continues to the south wall, the side walls of the porch and the west wall of the aisle. The south chapel and south aisle with a further 5 similar buttresses and finials has 4 similar 1666 windows. To the left is the 1666 porch. Arched entrance with keystone and imposts. Either side and standing proud are single Tuscan columns supporting the cornice with further moulded keystone and parapet. Inner moulded arched doorway. The west wall with single outer similar buttresses and finials and single similar 1666 window. Interior. 3 bay C13 nave arcades with quatrefoil piers and responds, the west respond with fillet. Double chamfered arches with broach stops to the outer orders and hood moulds with human head label stops. Tall double chamfered tower arch. Inner chamfer to arch only. C19 moulded chancel arch supported on pilasters and colonnettes with shaft rings, all with decorative capitals. The colonnettes have single carved figures over. Hood mould and decorative label stops. Low C19 alabaster screen. Aisle/organ chamber C19 moulded pointed arch supported on single columns with decorative capitals in turn supported on single flanking low ashlar walls. Over each wall is a single similar smaller opening with continuous hood mould over with inner angel and outer decorative label stops. Chancel/organ chamber 2 bay arcade supported on single pair of columns with decorative capitals. The moulded arches over are decorated to front and soffit with globe flowers. Hood mould and decorative label stops over. In the north nave wall are the remains of 2 C14 cinquefoil arched openings with mouchettes under a flat arch. Moulded arches over the south aisle, north nave, chancel and organ chamber windows. C19 decorative reredos. Decorative C19 alabaster and ashlar pulpit further decorated with inset carving of the sermon of the mount. C15 octagonal font, the base with single broach stops to alternate sides and the bowl with panels decorated with blind shields set into quatrefoils. C17 style carved chair. C17 chest with decorative carved panels. The east chancel window, c.1913, is reputedly by Powell and Sons. Organ chamber and 2 south aisle windows with some glass, reputedly by Henry Giles. In the organ chamber is an inset safe dated 1831. Memorials in the organ chamber include to Sophia Manvers Peirrepont, 1823, reputedly by Pierre Bazzanti, a tablet surmounted by a carving of a recumbant woman with angel over. The east and south walls have single C19 Gothick memorials. The chancel south wall has a memorial to Evelyn Pierrepont, 1773, the tablet is surmounted by a carved kneeling figure and draped urn, probably by Flaxman. On the north wall the memorial to Evelyn Henry Frederick Pierrepont, 1801, has over the tablet a large carved angel holding a book with urn above. That to Mr. John Shering, 1800 is in the shape of a decorative sarcophagus. The tablet to Reverend William Saltren, 1811, is set into the wall and is surmounted by a carved figure of a seated woman reading, by Flaxman, with later cusped niche over. The south wall of the nave has a large and fine alabaster memorial to Princess Gertrude Countesse of Kingston, 1649. The large inscription tablet is in a surround of shields, the base however is decorated with skulls, cross bones and swags. Either side are single Corinthian columns with decorated entablature over. Over the columns are single large finials the moulding over the centre of the entablature is topped with a single crown. The west wall of the south aisle has a re-set brass of a standing lady, c.1385. In the re-entrant angle of the south and west walls is a C19 memorial Gothick niche. Contained within a spandrel of the arcade is a fine memorial to the poet Oldham, 1683. The tablet has a surround of decoratively carved flowers and leaves with angel's head on the crown and further carved head on the apron. Adjacent the south wall is a damaged recumbent C13 effigy with head supported by angels and feet by a dog. There is a further damaged C14 effigy of a Knight only the head and trunk remaining. The large fine alabaster memorial to Sir Henry Pierrepont, 1615, by John Smythson, has a recumbant figure in armour upon a tomb, the base decorated with carvings of children and shields. The background with tablet surrounded by fine and decorative strapwork, flanked by single Ionic columns and with semi-circular head over containing a shield and surmounted by a further shield flanked by single small shields over the columns. A further fine alabaster tomb to Sir Henry Pierrepont, 1499, has a recumbant figure in armour with feet on a dog and head on a visor, the sides of the tomb decorated with panels decorated with cusping and plain shields. East side of the south aisle with entrance to the family vault of the Dukes of Kingston and Earls Manvers.
Listing NGR: SK6261839233
Lychgate. 1921. Rock-face ashlar, wood, some iron. Pair of rock-face ashlar walls at right angles to single central wood and iron double gate. The walls topped with open wooden framework supporting the gabled slate roof with pendants and sprocketed eaves. To front and rear at each angle are single carved grotesque heads. The lychgate is in memory of those who died in the 1914-18 War and in thanks for those who returned.
Listing NGR: SK6262839201
Memorial. Late C18. Ashlar. Plinth supporting a panelled square chest. The east side with tablet inscription commemorating the Beckwith family. Moulded top supporting a recently restored decorative urn.
Listing NGR: SK6260439216
Memorial. 1795, to Samuel and William Sanday. Ashlar. Plinth surmounted by tall rectangular chest, either side and set back are single similar smaller reeded chests. The central chest with tablets to front and rear is topped with pyramidal coping. The outer each with similar shaped coping attached to the central chest.
Listing NGR: SK6262939210
Memorial. 1802, to "Francis Dort de le Borde of Mereville and Clessy". Ashlar and slate. Ashlar plinth supporting a large rectangular ashlar chest, the front and rear decorated along the top with scrolls, the sides with turned balustrade type moulding. Slate tablet to south side. The top surmounted by a single large decorative ashlar urn. A French refugee.
Listing NGR: SK6263839216