Huthwaite
All Saints

Glass

Click the numbers in the key plan for details of the items.

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

13

14

15

16

Key to Glass

Chancel

1.

There is a three-light stained glass window at the east end of the church donated by Simeon Watson Esquire and his wife in remembrance of their son John Henry Watson. It cost £150 and was dedicated on 31 August 1913 by the Rural Dean, the Reverend Francis J. Adams. It depicts the Crucifixion (centre), Saint Mary the Virgin (north), and St John the Evangelist (south).

The inscription reads:

These Three Windows were Given to God, by Simeon Watson Esq., J.P. of this Parish and Mary Ann Watson his wife, in Affectionate Remembrance
Of their Son John Henry Watson Born 1871 and who died 1891. In Hope of the Resurrection Eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord Dedicated August 1913.

2.The chancel south-east window contains rectangular panels of coloured glass with an angel at the apex and a choir singing at the base. A green glass panel below reads:

IN MEMORY OF
ROBERT BAILEY 1896-1983
Chorister here for 67 years
Sometime Churchwarden
And his dear wife
EVELYN HILDA 1897-1982
Lifelong worker for the Church
Also 12 Choristers - members of his family

At the base is the marker's mark for MDS July 2005.

3.

The chancel south-west window depicts St Cecilia and is inscribed:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND THE BEAUTIFY THIS HOUSE
GIVEN BY THEIR SISTER IN LOVING AND GRATEFUL MEMORY
OF AGNES PRITCHETT DIED FEB: 1961 – SACRIST 1921-1961
AND HILDA PRITCHETT DIED AUG: 1963 FULWOOD FARM 1928-1954

The glass contains the maker's mark of Pope and Parr of Nottingham.

Nave

4.

Maker's mark

The nave south-east window is dated 1963 and depicts the Blessed Virgin Mary and Child, with three angels above and the epithet 'Gloria in Excelis Deo'. It is inscribed beneath:

Given to GOD and this
Church, A.D. MCMLXIII
By the Mothers' Union
whose labours contributed
much to its building
A.D .MCMIII LAUS DEO

There is the maker's mark for Goddard and Gibbs (a ship with interlocking GG) and the initials AEB for one of their designers – Arthur Edward Buss (1905-1999).

5.

The nave centre-east window depicts, at top, a winged angel holding the arms of the See of Canterbury, and below the province of York and the Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham. The centre shows three figures, hope, love, and faith, the central figure - faith - holding a model of a church (possibly intended to depict the completed Huthwaite building with tower). Below is an inscription within a red, black, and white border reading:

GIVEN BY THE FAMILY
+
IN AFFECTIONATE MEMORY OF FRANCIS NEWBOLD
BESWICK : UNDER WHOSE VICARIATE THIS
CHURCH WAS BUILT & DEDICATED IN THE NAME
OF ALL SAINTS DECEMBER 12th 1903. ENTERED
INTO REST AUGUST 25th 1941 AGED 81.

There is no maker's mark.

6.

The nave centre-west window is Christ crowning St George, wearing laurel leaves, in a boat, and flanked by two doves. The inscription below reads:

To the Glory of God and in memory of the
leader and members of the Young Mens' Bible Class
who gave their lives in the Great War, 1914-1918.

John Walter Lee.  

Charles Taylor.

 

George Stubbins.

John Walter Hill.

 

Walter Wilson.

 

Bernard Bailey.

Tom Newman.

 

J. P. Morley.

 

Ernest Laitt.

John Wm. Taylor [leader]

There is a possible makers' mark depicting the symbol of St Mark, a winged lion. The window was unveiled by Mrs Taylor, the mother of the class leader, on 12 June 1921. It cost £93.

7.The nave south-west window shows a single female figure in prayer with the inscription 'Dorcas' (a disciple) below. Underneath are two angels with the wording: 'To the Glory of God given by the ladies working party'. The glass carries the maker's mark of Pope and Parr of Nottingham.

8.

There is a three-light west window to the nave that shows St Francis of Assisi in an attitude of blessing below the crucified figure of Christ (centre light) and various animals and birds (all three lights).

Below St Francis is the inscription:

TO THE GREATER GLORY OF GOD
IN THANKFUL AND LOVING MEMORY
OF FRANCES ANN BEASTALL
FEBRUARY 27TH 1889
DECEMBER 8TH 1964
GIVEN BY HER HUSBAND AND SON

Tower

9.

St Ursula St Nicholas

In the west wall of the tower are two windows, depicting St Ursula and St Nicholas, given by Frances Dodsley. They were dedicated 3 April 1913.

10.

St John
the Baptist
St Elizabeth

In the north wall of the tower are two windows depict St John the Baptist and St Elizabeth and are inscribed, respectively:

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
THOMAS HILL
AND HIS WIFE AGNES.
GIVEN BY THEIR FAMILY 1954

Porch

11.The north porch doors contain brown and yellow glass with simple stylized geometric motifs (repeated elsewhere on the north side in plain glass). The doors and glass are probably 1913 as indicated by a plaque:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND THE REVERED MEMORY OF
WILLIAM SIMPSON
BORN 1853 - DIED 1912
FOR 20 YEARS VICAR'S CHURCHWARDEN.
THE PORCH DOORS OF THIS CHURCH WERE
DEDICATED ON EASTER DAY MARCH 23RD 1913.

North Aisle

12.

Maker's mark

In the north-west corner of the north aisle is a depiction of St Paul at Athens, dressed in blue, gold, and red, in the attitude of blessing and below:

IN MEMORY OF
WALTER LLEWELLYN BOULTON
Vicar of this Parish 1925-1971

There is the maker's mark (a mailed fist) of G. Maile studios, Canterbury.

13.The centre north aisle window shows the resurrected figure of Christ and below the inscription:

+
IN MEMORIAM
WILFRED AUSTIN BROWN
ACCIDENTALLY KILLED AT B. WINNING
COLLIERY JULY 18TH A.D. MCMXLVI
DE PROFUNDIS DOMINE CLAMAVI
AND OF HIS PARENTS

ALFRED BROWN WHO DIED SEPT. 19TH
A.D. MCMLVII + BEATRICE BROWN
WHO DIED NOV. 24TH A.D. MCMLXI
GIVEN BY THEIR FAMILY
DOMINUS VOBISCUM
+

14.The centre-east north aisle window depicts the figure of Mathew the tax collector with the inscription below:

GIVEN BY THEIR DAUGHTER HILDA IN UNFADING LOVE AND
MEMORY OF HAROLD COWEY OBIIT A.D. MCMLIX

ALSO OF HIS WIFE ELIZABETH OBIIT A.D. MCMLXII
GRAND-DAUGHTER OF T. ROBINSON RATING-WARDEN A.D. MDCCCLXII-XCII

AND GREAT GRAND-DAUGHTER OF B. BURTON
RATING-WARDEN A.D. MDCCCXXVI-LXII

The window carries the maker's mark for Pope and Parr of Nottingham.

15-16.Plain glass windows.