Kirklington St Swithin

Official Listing Description

SK 65 NE

3/112

11.8.61

G.V.

KIRKLINGTON

NEWARK ROAD
(south side)

Church of St. Swithin

Grade II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C17, early C19, restored 1873-4, interior restored 1892, C20. Ashlar, dressed coursed rubble, red brick, some render. Slate roofs. Coped east nave and east chancel with single ridge cross to east chancel. Buttressed. Tower, nave, south porch, south vestry and chancel. C17 tower in the main of brick. Set on a chamfered plinth, buttressed with single diagonal buttress to the north of 2 stages with band, embattled with single crocketed pinnacles at the angles. The west side has a blocked double chamfered arched brick doorway. Above is a single C17 window with 3 arched ights under a flat arch and Tudor hood mould, all in rendered surround. Over is a single arched light with rendered surround. The north side has a single small rectangular light. Projecting from the south side is a brick and dressed coursed rubble lean-to with brick roof and dogtooth eaves. Rising from the right side of this is a large stair turret with 2 rectangular lights and sundial to the south side and single similar light to the east. Projecting from the lean-to is a further brick and slate lean-to. The 4 bell chamber openings each have a single pair of arched lights in rendered surround. Over is the early C19 stage with, on each side, a single large quatrefoil opening in rendered surround. Under the north bell chamber is a single clock face. The north nave is set on a deep chamfered plinth, being rendered above with brick and ashlar buttresses. Pointed chamfered arched C13 doorway with hoodmould and human head label stops. To the left are 2 arched C19 3 light windows with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The chancel, rebuilt 1873-4 is set on a shallow chamfered plinth. The north wall has 2 arched C19 2 light windows with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The east wall has a single arched 4 light C15 window with cusped panel tracery. Adjacent to this wall are 15 C18 and C19 headstones. The south wall has a single arched restored C14 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. To the left is a C20 projecting vestry with coped gable and kneelers. The south wall of this has a crudely carved C12 lintel, above is a single rectangular light. The south nave is set on a deep chamfered plinth, being rendered above with brick and ashlar buttresses. 2 arched C19 3 light windows with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. Adjacent the east bay of this wall are 3 C17 and C18 headstones. The rendered C13 porch with coped gable is set on a deep chamfered plinth. Unmoulded arched entrance with hood mould and human head label stops. Inner C12 chamfered arched doorway with C17 panelled door. Interior. Triple chamfered brick tower arch with wood and stained glass screen. Either side are single small chamfered arched brick doorways with ashlar hinge and lock blocks. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner chamfer supported on moulded capitals in turn on segments of circular responds supported on corbels. Chamfered chancel/vestry arch. Octagonal ashlar C12 font, each panel decorated with a 3 bay blind intersecting arcade supported on dwarf shafts and with a band of diaper under. The remaining furniture C19 with an ashlar pulpit. In the south chancel is a C17 monument comprising an oval inscription plaque with floral surround supported on 2 angels' heads in turn supported on a skull. The plaque is surmounted by a shield. In the north chancel is a tablet to Frank Sotheron, 1839. The east window is by Ward Hughes, London, 1896.

Listing NGR: SK6791957607