For this church:
There is an extensive churchyard surrounding the church with its largest area to the north. It was closed for burials when the new cemetery was opened, but urns with ashes may still be put it a reserved area on the south-east close to the gate. The new cemetery has been in use since 1953 and is run by Newark and Sherwood District Council.
The registers start from 1559. The earliest memorials date from 1700. The first surviving stone (made of slate, by Wood) is of Ann Hind:
Samson Gilbert is the earliest priest to be found:
There are several eighteenth century stones in the churchyard. Many are of slate and preserve their inscriptions well. Another example is:
Perhaps one of the most tragic is that of junior members of the Abbott family: