Mansfield St Lawrence

Features and Fittings


The stone font is located in the small baptistry at the west end of the church. It has a wide octagonal base, with an octagonal plinth and shaft, topped by a small bowl. The date 1662 is carved on the east face of the shaft. A dark oak cover seals the bowl. For two centuries the font was in Mansfield Parish Church. Exactly when or why it was removed is not known, but it was eventually discovered in the possession of a local builder who was using it to display his geraniums. It was presented to St. Lawrence’s church by a family as a memorial to their son who died in infancy.

On the north wall by the west door stands a small oak display case. It is supported by a pedestal rising from four crossed feet with curved arched supports at the base and four small cantilevered brackets at the top. It has a glass top enclosing a Book of Remembrance. On the front it has a small brass plate with the dedication:

To the Glory of God
and in Loving Memory of
Mollie Turner
1912- 1989
A faithful communicant and wife of
William Turner (Bill)
Reader Licenced to St. Lawrence’s Church Mansfield

Also on the north side of the nave is a varnished bookcase with a brown metal plate inscribed:

This Bookcase was given in loving memory of
Mr. and G.K. Stanley and their son
Mr. D.K. Stanley
5th December 1999


Pulpit and

In the north corner of the nave and the chancel arch is an oak pulpit accessed by five carpeted steps, screened by three oak panels filled with linen-fold decoration. Likewise the front of the pulpit is faced with two linen-fold panels under an ogee pediment. A small brass plate on the shaft indicates the pulpit was given by Mr. E Moore.


The lectern is located immediately in front of the pulpit. It is also in oak with four squared bracketed feet, the brackets rise halfway up the octagonal shaft terminating in two arches topped with turned finials. The head of the shaft supports a short carved capital on which rests a rimmed carved bowl housing a globe upon which a well carved wooden eagle rest. Mr. J. King gave the Lectern.

Communion rail

Resting on the single step of the sanctuary is an oak communion rail. Each of the two outer sections has a broad plinth base with four octagonal shafts rising to support the rail.

Choir stalls

Two choir stalls are set on each side of the chancel. A book rest is positioned in front of the first stalls. The book rests are made of lightly stained oak with twelve plain panels at the front. Whilst the back rests for the seats are similar, they have six wider panels. At each end of the stall seats a wide, two inch thick oak plank has been carved with a pierced circle to produce a cross. Full length loose red seat cushions complete the design.

Carved angels

On each of the inner faces of the chancel arch shaft is a carved wooden angel with outstretched raised wings, holding a candlestick which extends above the height of the wings. A small metal plaque states the origin of the angels:

The Angel figures in the sanctuary were given in memory of
Sarah Holmes died December 18th 1926
Norah Herson died April 22nd 1928
Isabella Senechal died March 29th 1929

Two angels of the same design are fixed on octagonal posts at each side of the altar; it is not clear if they were all part of the same memorial.

Chairs in the sanctuary

Three dark oak chairs are located against the north wall of the sanctuary. Each one is of a different design. The largest is a high backed chair with arms. The stretchers and the risers supporting the front of the arms are bobbin turned, whilst the frame work at the rear is constructed with squared timber with some carved decoration and split turnings. The centre chair also has bobbin turned stretchers and risers, but it has a lower back with a carved panel. Close to the east wall is the third chair, this has barley sugar twist turned legs, stretchers and side risers to each side of the back rest with a slatted infill. These are capped by a carved head-rest. This chair was possibly part of a Victorian dining suite. All three have wooden seats covered by modern light coloured fabric cushions.

Lady Chapel

Reading desk and
chair in Lady Chapel

In the small Lady Chapel located in the north transept is a small light oak altar with a three panelled front, the centre panel is adorned by a cross. A few modern beech wood chairs with red cushions are set around the walls with a few older wooden chairs. A low reading desk is located in the north-west corner, with a more ornate prayer desk against the east wall. This medium oak piece has a pierced panel with a cinquefoil headed lower section within a curve surmounted by a pair of trefoil headed carvings under the sloping desk top. The bottom rail has dentil carving and the risers on each side are decorated with turned split shafts.

Aumbry and Piscina

Piscina and aumbry

On the south wall of the sanctuary there is a small stone framed piscina set in a pointed arch. It rests on a moulded stone sill which it shares with a matching aumbry. The aumbry has a wooden plank door with wrought iron hinges and latch with a round drop handle.


Currently the seating for the congregation is modern light wood chairs with red upholstery. There are twelve rows of seats each side of the central aisle each row has six seats giving a total of 142. A few additional chairs are located around the church. The original plan showed the nave with twenty one pews each side of the aisle.