For this church:
Mansfield St Lawrence
The two memorials, one dedicated to the First World War and the other to the Second World War, are both located in the baptistry below the west window.
The WWI memorial is in the form of six equal size wooden panels, three on each of the north and south walls which surround the font. Each panel carries a list of the names of the fallen under the name of the regiment in which they served. All the lettering is carved into the panel enhanced with a black finish. The entire memorial is of medium oak, three panels set between four narrow uprights, each having a carved trefoil headed design with three short lancets over.
The top rail is heavily carved with the inscription on south the side reading:
Panel 1. North wall
Panel 4 South Wall
The service to dedicate the memorial took place at 11a.m. on 27 November 1920. It was conducted by the Bishop of Southwell, commencing with a parade by ex-servicemen and Boy Scouts. A special service was held on the same day for the Sunday School children at 2.30pm.
Eighty-one former parishioners are remembered.
A small brass plate on the north wall near the west entrance door acknowledges two other memorials to WWI with the text:
The memorial for those who did not survive World War II is also located in the Baptistry. It is in the form of a three-light stained glass window in the lower west wall. Each light is set in a plain rectangle stone surround which existed prior to its re-glazing in 1949.
The far left panel depicts St. Martin of Tours. A bishop’s mitre is set near the upper right corner, and in the lower central area near St. Martin’s leg is a drawing of a church on a hill. In the bottom right corner is the date ‘1939’. Within the centre light is St. Nicholas holding a lantern. The inscription across the bottom of the light reads:
The subject of the right hand light is St. Michael. The date of the end of WWII, ‘1945’, is in the bottom left corner.
A brass plate below the window reads:
The glass does not carry any maker’s mark.
Set within the north side of the angled window reveal is a brass plaque listing the names of the casualties.
In the south reveal there is a matching brass plaque:
A total of thirty men did not return to the parish.