For this church:
Mattersey All Saints
The church has a ring of 5 bells mounted in a cast-iron frame that was installed in 1989. The smaller two bells (1 and 2) were added to the existing three bells at this time.
Details of the bells are:
About the Bells
This is a second-hand bell donated by the Southwell Diocesan Guild of Bell Ringers for the augmentation of the ring in 1989. It is believed to be the work of John Warner and Sons, London, and was originally cast as an hour clock-bell for Saundby Church for W Potts and Sons, Clock Makers of Leeds.
This was cast in 1989 by the John Taylor foundry, Loughborough and was donated by Dr Rudder, who also paid for a large part of the cost of re-hanging all the bells. Half of one hundredweight of the bell metal came from the Bells of St Leonard’s Church, Newark. Metal from the St Leonard’s bells was also used in the casting of new bells for St Bartholomew, Sutton-cum-Lound and All Saints, Thrumpton.
Bells 3 and 4
Both of these bells are included in the ‘Schedule of Ancient Bells’ and were cast in London in 1470. They both bear the bell-founder’s mark of John Walgrave.
The inscription on Bell 3 could be translated:
Let the voice of Augustine sound under the guidance of God
and that on Bell 4 as:
Saint Margaret pray for us
This is probably the work of George Oldfield of Nottingham.