Misterton All Saints

Glass

Chancel

East Window

Detail Detail Detail Detail

The east window commemorates Queen Victoria and was installed in 1902, a year after the queen's death. The subject of the window is The Lord’s Supper, based on a painting by Julius Schnor von Cawlsfeld, Professor at the Royal Academy of Art, Dresden. The window was made by Thomas & Co. of Manchester and Birmingham, and cost £225.

A brass plaque next to the window reads:

THIS WINDOW
WAS PLACED HERE
BY PARISHIONERS
AND FRIENDS
DEDICATED
JUNE 19TH 1902


R.E. BRIGGS, M.A. VICAR

W.J. HODSON

}

 

 

} CHURCHWARDENS

 

THOS. HILL

}

 

An inscription along the bottom of the window reads:

TO THE GLORY OF
GOD AND IN BELOVED
MEMORY OF QUEEN
VICTORIA BORN MAY
24TH 1819 SUCCEEDED
TO THE THRONE JUNE
20TH 1837 DIED JANUARY
22ND 1901

South Wall East

St John St Matthew St Mark

The easternmost window in the south wall of the chancel is by C E Kempe & Co. Ltd and depicts the Four Evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. It was installed in 1929. The inscription on the window reads:

For a remembrance before God of
James Hodson and Betsy his wife,
their daughter Fanny Mary has caused
this window to be here placed mcmxxix.

South Wall Middle

The Angel Gabriel The Wise Men The Virgin Mary
and Jesus

The middle window in the south wall of the chancel is also by C E Kempe & Co. Ltd. It depicts the Adoration of the Shepherds and the Annunciation and dates from 1929. The inscription reads:

In honour of the Holy Incarnation of our Lord
Jesus Christ and in memory of Fanny Mary Hodson,
her sister Edith Mawer Hodson dedicates this
window mcmxxix.

South Wall West

Detail Detail Wheatsheaf logo

The westernmost window in the south wall of the chancel is by C E Kempe & Co. Ltd. The subject of the window is the Presentation in the Temple. It was installed in 1905 and is dedicated to a former vicar:

In honour of the Incarnation of our
Lord Jesus Christ, and in memory of
Robert Edward Briggs, Vicar of this Parish
for xv years: born viiith June mdcccli:
died viith Nov:mcmiv:his parishioners
and friends dedicate this window.

North Aisle

Medieval glass

Fragments of medieval glass in the third window from the west end of the aisle depict a bishop, possibly Hugh, bishop of Lincoln.

Holy Cross Chapel

East Window

The east window, showing the Tree of Life and the Five Wounds of Christ, was designed by John Piper and made by Patrick Reyntiens in 1966.

 

North Wall Windows

East window West window

Both windows in the north wall of the chapel are modern. The east window is dated '1999'.

South Aisle

St Alban St Oswald St Stephen

The east window in the south aisle was installed in November 1921 in memory of the men of Misterton who died in the First World War. The window depicts St Oswald, St Stephen, and St Alban and was made by C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.

The inscription reads:

Remember with thanksgiving and all
honour the men of Misterton who
fell in the Great War 1914-18 to
whose memory this window is dedicated

Tower

There is a single lancet containing decorative stained glass in the west wall of the tower.