For this church:
Features and Fittings
Most of the fittings date from 1860/61 when the chapel was built although some have been added subsequently. Two items may have been inherited from an earlier building.
The interior of the chapel has a uniformity of style and that is carried through in the fittings. The mouldings are all of the same basic design, some geometric and others figurative. The interior has been painted relatively recently to the same colour scheme of light turquoise blue with decorative moulding picked out mainly in green and red. A number of the fittings have had coloured, painted highlights added, probably by Anne Camenisch, wife of Revd Richard Camenisch, vicar of Laxton (1959-68).
This appears to be an integral part of the 1860 building. It stands centrally in the chancel. Its sides are made of brick covered with painted plaster. The front and back are open. The top is made from red marble. It stands 83cm high and it is 98cm wide and 61cm from back to front.
Plain wooden C20 book rest.
Oak with wrought iron and wooden supports, central opening, no gate, some decorative details picked out in colour.
The round ashlar pulpit stands on the south side of the junction between nave and chancel. It is raised slightly on a ringed round base with four square engaged shafts and is reached by five steps. It is drum-shaped and is covered by painted plaster with ringed non-figurative moulding top and bottom. It has an integral bracketed bookstand with a granite shaft and moulded base.
Cast iron lectern with 4 twisted shafts and traceried bracketed feet and bookstand.
The reredos was not originally part of the chapel but inserted at an uncertain date, perhaps soon after building but more probably towards the end of the 19th century. No evidence has been found to indicate where it might have come from. It is of painted ashlar and the brightly coloured painting is in keeping with the rest of the church. The lettering was redone most recently by Anne Camenisch, wife of the Revd Richard Camenisch (vicar of Laxton, 1959-68).
The reredos consists of four painted panels in an elaborate Decorated style, 4 cusped openings, crocketed gables, pinnacles and finials. The foliate pinnacles are separated by angled painted columns each with an ornate finial, boldly decorated with human or animal heads and vegetation.
Numbering from left to right the texts are as follows:
The precise wording and colouring is seen in the photographs below.
The wording of panels 2 and 3 suggests that they should more correctly have been arranged 3 then 2. The quotation would then read correctly and the reference at the bottom would read:
I Corinthians XI (on current panel 3) vv. XXIII–XXV (panel 2)
Ten rows of 19th century open-backed light pine pews on the north side of the nave and nine on the south. A single free-standing old pew in chancel, with painted details.
The round tapered font is placed centrally at the west end. It has four square shafts and a clustered column with foliate capitals and quatrefoil base. The foliage is picked out in green and red. It stands on a raised platform. It has a cover of light wood.
Pine with wrought iron hinges, latch and bolts, with large metal key and large lock within a decorated wooden housing.
Two late C 19 wrought iron candelabra originally fitted to take small oil lamps, now adapted for electricity, one hanging at the crossing, one towards the west end of the nave.
An oak armchair with carved panelled back, dated 1662. 17th century side table with turned legs and carved top rail. These may have been acquired as new for the chapel.
Some other items in the church are: