For this church:
Newark Old St Leonard
Features and Fittings
The wall behind the altar was originally covered by a curtain. In 1874 it was painted with a Crucifixion scene with St John the Baptist and St Leonard on either side. In 1888 this was replaced by a free standing triptych, from a design by A.H. Skipworth. The central panel was of alabaster, with ogee pediment and moulded decoration, depicting the crucifixion, and the side wings were of the Annunciation.
Panelling behind the reredos was installed in memory of Lt. Col. Robert Frank Byron Hodgkinson, who died 9 August 1928.
Also an organ case and screen stalls stained and set in white festival vestments.
A brass plaque read:
The font was presented by the children of the parish in 1898 and placed in the north-west corner of the church.
There were three brass plaques in memory of choristers: Henry Dixon (1854-1929), Jack Hickman (a chorister for more than sixty years, d. 1967) and Norman Hemstock, chorister, choirmaster and layreader, d. 1969.
Some items were transferred to the new church, including an external cross (made from timber in the old church), the Mountney stained glass window of Christ the Good Shepherd, the Sumner window of St Leonard, the wooden acolyte candle holders, the Paschal Candle holder, the candle snuffers, processional cross and Churchwardens’ staffs, the Mothers’ Union banner, the literature and book stand and the Lady Chapel lectern (gifts of the Dobbs family) the porch bench and the statue of St Leonard from the niche over the porch, and the crucifix from over the pulpit. Also transferred were the vestments and communion silver.
Most of the furnishings from the old church were sold to help to defray the cost of the new church. They realised £5,354.