For this church:
St Leonard’s Church is a modern building which incorporated in a Community Centre and adjacent Vicarage on Lincoln Road, Newark. This was built in 1978 to replace a Victorian church, of the same name, on Northgate which is now (2016) the site of a retail store. Behind this store is the original School/Community Centre and adjacent is a former vicarage.
Both Old and New St Leonards were built in their contemporary locations to serve the local community as Newark progressively grew north-east along the Fosse Way towards Lincoln. The name is linked to St Leonard's Hospital which was originally built in the same area, then outside the town walls of Newark, by Bishop Alexander of Lincoln (1123-1148), at the same time that he built Newark Castle.
The present church is integrated within the Bridge Community Centre and was designed by Newark and Sherwood Council’s Architects Department; the whole was built at a cost of £100,000. It was designed to seat 40 worshippers on modern stacking chairs. A folding screen at the back of the church can be opened to incorporate the church with the main community hall to accommodate a further 200.