For this church:
In 1919 it was decided to commemorate those who lost their lives in the the First World War with an outdoor War Memorial, which was erected in the east churchyard, and also by creating a chapel within the church which was dedicated to St George.
In addition, next to the Books of Remembrance in the south transept, there was set up a sculpture by a local artist after the Second World War.
Outdoor War Memorial
The War Memorial, ‘The Cross of Sacrifice’ was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield, and it was set up in a central position in the east churchyard. The iron railings were removed from the street side of that area of the churchyard and replaced with a post-and-chain fence designed by Mr Rushbrook.
The inscription on the War Memorial is:
This was designed by WD Caroë of Westminster. An appeal was launched in 1919 to meet the cost, and donations were received from townspeople, and also from the 1/8th and 2/8th Battalions of the Sherwood Foresters, the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry, and the Magnus Grammar School. The Sherwood Foresters contributed generously, and also provided a substantial part of the furnishings and equipment for the chapel, including the screen, reredos, altar table and Roll of Honour. The Sherwood Rangers provided four panels on the north side of the chapel, and the Magnus Grammar School a large panel with fretwork carving on the south side. The chapel was completed in 1921, and dedicated in October of that year.
At the centre of the reredos is the figure of St George, holding in his left had a banner and in his right a sword with which he has slain the dragon beneath. The initials of the Sherwood Foresters are incorporated in the fretwork carving at the top of the reredos, and the badges of the 1/8th and 2/8th Battalions are in the panels to the sides. Above and to the sides of the figure of St George are the words:
The altar itself is carved of oak.
The altar frontal was given by ladies of the county, supporters of the 8th Battalion. It bears the words:
GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD
and the design also includes four lifebelts, each bearing the name Bellenglise, commemorating a famous victory in which the 1/8th Battalion was engaged. The original frontal was replaced in 1968.
The original altar cross was given by Rev JP Hales DSO, the Battalion chaplain, and was the actual one used by him in the trenches at Ypres, but unfortunately it was later stolen.
The window behind the St George’s Chapel altar, although it dates from the nineteenth century, might be felt to be in an appropriate theme, depicting as it does the agony of Christ and four miracles of healing.
The sculptured panel in the south transept is by Robert Kiddey, a Newark artist and sculptor. It is set up above Books of Remembrance as part of the town’s memorial to the fallen of both World Wars. It takes the form of a pietà, i.e. a depiction of Mary the Mother of Jesus weeping over his body as she receives it from the cross.