Newstead St Mary


View of the east end of the church showing the design of the east windowThe East Window

The East Window was designed and fitted at the opening of the church in 1928. It depicts Celtic Rings in green with pink decoration, representing The Unbroken Love of God. The window was removed and re-inserted when the chancel was extended in 1932.

The West Windows (The Millennium Windows)

The three West Windows are now known as the Millennium Windows. These splendid new artefacts replaced the plain glass windows fitted when the church was built.

The Millennium Windows were designed and made by members of the congregation in the year 2000. A Learning Workshop was formed, under the direction of the artist Sarah McNicol and its members attended regular sessions to learn the techniques of glass painting and decoration. Then individuals were able to put their newly acquired skills to the test by preparing individual sections of the new window under supervision. A modern commemorative tablet, with all the names of the participants inscribed, is in the entrance porch.

The Workshop was initiated and supported by Next Stage, Nottinghamshire County Council’s programme of Adult Education through the Arts. The complete project was a partnership between Nottinghamshire County Council community Services (Leisure), the Church of St Mary the Virgin and Newstead Parish Council, with additional support from the Rural Community Council and the people of Newstead.

The Millennium Windows Coloured drawing of
the windows
The window from
the outside
Plaque showing the names
of those involved in
making the windows

North and South Windows

The windows of both the side walls of the church are all filled with plain glass.