For this church:
Normanton-on-Trent St Matthew
Features and Fittings
There are two fonts, a heavily carved gothic-style octagonal Victorian font installed at the time of the 1859 restoration, and an older, bowl-shaped example, which appears stylistically to date from the second half of the 18th century. Both are of limestone.
The pews are of oak and pine and date from the 1859-60 restoration. A number of the previous bench ends were worked into the chancel seating at this time. They are 15th century in date. The kneeling stools for the pews date from 1907.
The oak lectern, carved in the shape of an eagle, is Victorian, and the mosaic reredos dates from 1879 and was the gift of Miss Gamson, a daughter of the Revd Robert Gamson, vicar between 1857 and 1900. The reading desk is of 1902 and the pulpit was installed in 1921 and dedicated by the Bishop of Southwell. It was mostly carved by the Revd Charles Gamson, who had succeeded his father as vicar of the parish and who died in 1919.
The modern altar rail is of oak and wrought iron in the shape of ivy leaves, and is in three sections. The processional cross was made from the wood of a discarded pew by Norman Hough of Carlton on Trent in 1977, and the hanging rood cross of 2002 was made from oak supplied by Jonathan Hare of Grassthorpe, by George Richard Lambert of Chapel Farm, Normanton on Trent.