For this church:
Monuments and Memorials
A number of grave markers survive within the church. They are located towards the western end of the nave, although they appear to have been moved from their original positions. The earliest that can be distinguished commemorates Ann Jackson who died in 1704, along with her son Henry and his wife Esther, who are remembered in the monument to Elizabeth Hall and her husband Elizabeth, described below. There is another commemorating a member of the Killinger family, who died in 1705, and one commemorating a further member of the Jackson family, who died in 1710.
The earliest memorial which the church contains is located on the north side of the sanctuary. It commemorates Robert Curtys, who was vicar of the parish from 1675 until 1680, when he died aged 33. It comprises a fine inscribed brass plaque set into an ashlar frame decorated with trailing vines and a crest, comprising a saltire with possible boars’ heads in the quarters. The inscription reads:
This translates as: ‘Sacred to the memory of the Reverend Mr Robert Curtys priest, and whilst Vicar of this Church, both very learned and very godly. Born in an honourable station in the county of Derbyshire. At Cambridge fully versed in languages, the arts and sciences, and excellent in his person, behaviour, virtue, life and example. He was exceptional. With perseverance he supported the King and the Anglican Church and stood for peace against their enemies. And he taught his flock obedience. Forever loved. In short he made his way to Heaven in the year of our Lord 1680, aged 33 years. Glory be to God.’
On the north wall of the chancel, there is a monument erected in memory of Philip Hall, who died in 1780, his wife Elizabeth, and her parents, Henry and Esther Jackson. The plaque is of marble, and is surmounted by an urn, with a frieze and a coat of arms below. The inscription reads:
By the chancel arch there is a brass plaque to Charles Gamson, who was vicar from 1899 until his death in 1919. It reads: