North Muskham St Wilfrid
| The Barton rebus
There are several stained glass windows, very little of which is of late medieval date. Two north aisle windows and the south aisle east window contain 15th century glass incorporating the Barton rebus. A rebus is a heraldic device hinting at the name of the bearer, in this case representations of a barrel or 'tun', part of the rebus based on the Barton (Bear - tun) family name, the badge of the family who were the benefactors to the church before the Reformation, and resided at Holme.
||Detail of St Wilfrid
The east window dates from around 1905 and is a memorial to the Rev. Francis Oswald Colley, vicar of North Muskham 1902-05. The window depicts Our Lord, Paulinus, Mary, St Wilfrid and Mary Magdalene. The inscription reads:
the Glory of God
loving memory of
Colley M A
This window is
erected by his Mother,
Brother & Sisters.
The east window of the north aisle has stained glass produced by the Nottingham company of Hincks and Burnell in 1939. The window was commissioned by Maria Beatrix Hull in memory of the Rev John Winstanley Hull (vicar of North Muskham from 1853 to 1902), his wife Charlotte Augusta, his eldest son William and his youngest daughter, Katherine. The Latin inscription reads:
Hanc fenestram ornandam curavit
Maria Beatrix Hull in piam
memoriam Johannis Winstanley
Hull hujus ecclesiae decem lustra
vicarii, Carlottae Augustae uxoris
ejus, Gulielmi filii ejus natu maximi,
Katherinae filiae natu minimae.
Anno Domini MCMXXXVIII.
|West window in the north wall
||East window in the north wall
The north wall of the north aisle has to the west a window with stained glass panels with the Barton rebus and to the east a window with similar 15th century stained glass fragments in the head.
The south wall of the south aisle has to the west a stained glass window dating from c.1913. A brass plaque reads:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD IN MEMORY OF SAMUEL THOMPSON
PARISH CLERK OF NORTH MUSKHAM & BATHLEY
A.D.1847 TO A.D.1913 & TO COMMEMORATE
THAT UNTIL A.D.1854 THE PARISHES OF NORTH MUSKHAM
(S. WILFRID), & HOLME (S. GILES), WERE UNITED.
THIS WINDOW IS GIVEN BY HIS SON THOMAS THOMPSON
The east window of the south aisle has fragments of 15th century stained glass with the Barton rebus.
| West window
|| Detail of west window
showing the coat of
arms of Thomas L K Edge
The west window portrays St Paulinus and incorporates the coat of arms of Thomas Lewis Kekewich Edge of Strelley Hall who gifted it to the church. It was made by C. E. Kempe & Co. of London in 1907.
The inscription reads:
|d. d. Thomas L. K. Edge
of Strelley mcmvii