View of the church

North Wheatley

St Peter and St Paul

Newark Archdeaconry

Bassetlaw and Bawtry Deanery


The church of North Wheatley is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul and is listed Grade II*. It stands in a commanding position in the village. On the north side of the tower buttress is an Ordnance Survey contour mark indicating that it is the highest point of land around.

Much of the present church dates from around the 15th century but there is evidence of a much earlier building. The current church consists of south porch, nave, tower, chancel, and north chancel vestry; both the chancel and porch were re-built in 1824. The tower dates from the late 15th century.

There is plenty of evidence of a much earlier church as North Wheatley Church, in common with some other churches in Nottinghamshire, was given by King John when he was Earl of Mortain (1191-3) to the church of Rouen.

Within the church the woodwork is oak. Of the 21 pews 10 have carved oak with traciered ends and date from about 1500, the remaining pews are Victorian copies. The majority of the remaining furniture is Jacobean.

In 1637 the roof of the nave was resited, with the date carved into the apex at the west end of the nave.

It was from the church in 1745 that General George Wade’s army could be seen in the distance as they lay in wait for Bonnie Prince Charlie as he came from Scotland. They were expecting him to march along the route of what is now the A1. Their wait was in vain as he entered England through Carlisle and made his way down the west side of the country.

Particular thanks to Norma Naisbitt for research on this entry