For this church:
North Wheatley St Peter and St Paul
Official Listing Description
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Tower c.1480. Chancel 1824. Restored 1896 by Hodgson Fowler. Further restored 1927. Ashlar and dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Slate and lead roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinths. West tower, nave, chancel, north chancel chapel, south porch. West tower, 2 stages, has string course, eaves band with remains of gargoyles, crenellated parapet. 2 corner buttresses, 3 setoffs. To west, C19 cusped head triple lancet with panel tracery and splayed reveal with hood mould. Second stage has 4 double lancet bell openings with cusped trefoil heads. Nave, 2 bays, has string course, moulded coped parapet and coped gable with cross. North side has 2 buttresses. To east, 2 C15 triple lancets with cusped heads, in cove-moulded reveals with 4 centred arched heads. That to west with hood mould. To west, blocked recessed doorway with hood mould. South side has 2 similar windows. Chancel, 2 bays, has string course, moulded coped parapet and coped gable with cross. East end has quintuple lancet with cusped trefoil heads, in reveal with 4 centred arched head. South side has 2 similar triple lancets. North chancel chapel, 2 bays, has string course and moulded coped parapet. West end has 4 centred arched doorway. North side has central double lancet with cusped trefoil heads, in 4 centred arched reveal. Rainwater head dated 1824. East end has cusped ogee head double lancet in sqaure headed chamfered and rebated reveal. South porch, single bay, timber frame on ashlar plinth, C20. Pair of C20 half glazed doors with leaded lights; 6 leaded lights each side. Interior has stone benches. Low pitched roof. South doorway, C16, Tudor arched with deep cove and roll mouldings and rebate with broach stops. Coved hood mould with remains of mask stops. Nave north side has to west C13 stoup re-set in blocked doorway. C19 queen post roof with corbels carrying curved brackets to tie beams. Tower arch, C13, chamfered and rebated, without imposts, spanned by re-set moulded and crested bressummer with central cross. Tower chamber contains dog leg stair of cleft trunks with treads pegged on. Chancel arch, C19 in C13 style, double chamfered and rebated, with moulded octagonal imposts. Chancel has to north 2- bay C19 arcade with irregular octagonal pier and moulded arches and C20 traceried panelled timber screen. Roof has 4 centred arch braces to tie beams, pierced spandrels, responds on octagonal corbels; moulded timbers and foliate bosses. North chancel chapel has to east re-set keeled respond and capital, and to its right re-set C13 niche head. Lean-to roof with moulded tie beams and struts to principal rafters. Fittings include 10 C15 re-used bench ends with traceried panels and fleur de lys finials; other benches are C20 copies. Traceried panelled stalls with fleur de lys ends. C17 side table with turned legs and chip carving, and similar C17 four legged stool. C19 gradine incorporating portions of C17 chip carving. Timber pulpit, 1603, with round headed arcaded panels, reeded pilasters, pulvinated friezes and strapwork. C12 tub font with cover. 2 benefaction boards, 1816. Monuments include merchant's mark and brass to Edmund Cartwright, 1441, and brass 1941. Fragment of capital with naturalistic foliage.
Listing NGR: SK7621085868